Look What I See...

Panzer Cmdr

Does anyone know if having units in forest, mountains or cities lessens the chance of detection with FOW on? :confused: It should. Entrenchment and Experience should also play a role in reducing detection.

I don't think aircraft should automatically spot units especially those dug-in. :eek: Perhaps too the aircrafts ability to spot should be a function of experience and tech. Now it seems it is only a function of range. Perhaps aircraft should only be able to (have a chance) at detecting units that are in hexes around target hex. (assuming the aircraft stay at some higher altitude prior to target and then came down for the kill, heavy bombers just stay high) Even when attacking say a forest hex with a bomber there may be a chance that the bomber does cause casualties but the unit still may not expose itself if it very experienced. Thoughts... Remeber those Panzer hidden in the woods in "A Bridge To Far", all the British guy saw was trees - except for the real zoomed in shot, then he said "I wouldn't worry about them, they probably don't work" (or something along those lines... tongue.gif )

Hey PzrCmdr,

I think on this scale, it might be tough to hide an entire army with any great effect. I see the aircraft spotting ranges as representing ongoing air recon missions within their area of operations. With this in mind, it may be possible to hide away a company of Panthers in the scrub, but not for long and not in any great numbers. Here is an idea; perhaps enemy air within operational range of spotting air could be made to interfere with said spotting and that this could be reflected in the game in some way. This would allow for shielding your troop movements by keeping friendly air in the area. Just a thought.

regards,

Ray

[ October 01, 2002, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: daystrom ]

As originally posted by Panzer Cmdr:

Does anyone know if having units in forest, mountains or cities lessens the chance of detection with FOW on?

Come to think of it, I'm not sure either, but, I don't think there is any camo effect.

However, not that there aren't enough suggestions for Hubert to mull over already, but this would be a great inclusion in a future game. :cool:

It doesn't take a great deal of experience to spot units (... or does it?) and certainly the time frame, and size of each unit would suggest that the player/field-commander would know the GENERAL disposition of the foe.

However, they would never know the exact number of opposing troops, and they would surely have more difficulty in heavy forest (light forest and hills not modeled anyway) or especially mountain terrain... cities, I don't know, maybe spies or underground pipeline would enable more precise knowledge.

But, I really like this idea, since it would provide just a little more FOW and therefore, enhance the "mystery" of the game. smile.gif

I don't think you should be able to hide the location (or strength) of a corps- or army-size unit. I do, however, like the idea of having air units interfere with each other's detection ranges in some way.

I also think it would be interesting to be able to buy "false units" for the enemie's air units to see. Something to replicate the kind of deception the Allies put on in southern England before Overlord would be fun to play around with.