Custom Question: Ireland Joins Axis & AI

Edwin P.

Since the Allies will never attack Eire, I created a scenario with Ireland starting out as part of the Axis.

First few turns - UK Bomber, Carriers, Air Fleet, Battleship attack Dublin and gain experience. Good.

Then the Dublin corps is destroyed and the city gets bombed to a value of 1. Understandable.

Then everything goes wrong. The UK invades Ireland with 2 Corps and 1 Army Unit, which are now stuck in Ireland. The UK should have used only 1 corps.

Any suggestions? Perhaps starting Ireland as part of the Allies and giving the UK an equivalent amount of plunder, but this does not give the UK Carrier units the experience they would have gotten from attacking Dublin.

Ireland was only independant a few years when the war started and pressure from the United States had a lot to do with it. A lot of Southern Irish voluteers fought in the British Army during the war.

I don't understand why bombing Dublin to gain unit experience keeps coming up. That shouldn't be a factor at all. If Ireland would have joined the Axis, and there was a lot of anti-British hostility there, I seriously doubt Britain would have bombed it's cities at all. Irish corpses strewn all over the cover of Life and Time would not have done much to help US entry.

The most viable solution is to add Ireland to the Allies; I usually add Iraq as well as both were virtually Brititsh protectorates.

Adding Ireland to the Axis makes no sense to me; I can envision the country joining the Axis almost out of necessity if Britain had been conquered. De Valeria had strong leanings in that direction and it might have become an Italian or Spanish type fascist state. No doubt Germany would have tossed Northern Ireland in to sweeten the package while creating a Vichy style British Government as a liason with the former parts of the British Empire.

Edwin, give Ireland to the Allies, then just bump up the aircraft carriers of the allies by either adding experience or giving them long range tech of 1(which also increases carrier strength). This should achieve what you are looking for.(I'd give them Iraq also).

If you are looking for a good game vs. the AI, try not declaring war vs. the Russians, let them declare war against you - this gives them a turn to free up their units, extra MPP's, and keeps you from transporting in an invasion force.

You could also give Russia a MPP boost of 400-600 MPP's and attack as normal.

[ June 18, 2003, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: KDG ]

KDG and JerseyJohn

Many thanks for the tips. I will try them both.

By making the Ireland Axis I was trying to force the AI to follow the same attack Ireland strategy used by many players.

[ June 18, 2003, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Adding Ireland to the Axis makes no sense to me; I can envision the country joining the Axis almost out of necessity if Britain had been conquered. De Valeria had strong leanings in that direction and it might have become an Italian or Spanish type fascist state. No doubt Germany would have tossed Northern Ireland in to sweeten the package while creating a Vichy style British Government as a liason with the former parts of the British Empire. [/QB]

Edwin & nonsuch

This is a great subject more from an historical than a game viewpoint. I know Ireland did quite a few things to anger the Brits, such as not providing cover for shipping or a stopover for convoys. Also, I've heard more than one person who was there at the time say Irish Spotlights helped German aircraft locate targets on the Welsch coastline!

Meanwhile I've also heard other Irishmen and women who lived in Southern Ireland during the war, tell me that, while hating the British, most Irish didn't want the Nazis either.

I think they were literally caught in the middle. If Britain had fallen they'd have been obliged to join the Axis or be regarded as another Yugoslavia. But if they joined the Axis and Britain didn't fall they'd have eventually been reconqonquered and would probably never have broken loose of the British yoke. Britain could, with justification, have said they needed to occupy the entire Isle for their own security.

We had a pretty extensive thread on this a while a back and when I get a chance I'll find it and link it here. From what I've seen in the search I think this is where it was discussed.

< Thread on Partisans that discusses Ireland in WW II >

BTW, Hitler said with a straight face that the Japanese were Aryan, he let Rudoph Hess type it into Mein Kampf -- I'd think the Celts look a bit more German than that, so who could possibly guess what definition he had in mind!

[ June 19, 2003, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]