Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Desktop Icons

As it has come up several times I thought it might be appropriate to address the issue more formally. Please understand that these are not excuses but rather the facts of the matter.

The goal with SC was to have it universally compatible with all Windows OS's by using native windows routines to implement the multimedia (sound, graphics, resolution changes) portion of the game. It seems as though that this has not worked out as initially intended as there have been issues with sound and the desktop icons on some systems. This has to do with a variance it appears between some OS's and how they handle resolution changes etc. Games written in DirectX do not appear to have this problem since it looks like this variance between the Windows Os's is handled by the DirectX runtime, i.e. not the programmer.

Now that being said, I have tried to find workarounds to the problem by suggesting the third party utility as mentioned and found here

Why has this been done? Well to make a long story short, I know that this solution is not perfect and will not make everyone happy, but I strongly felt that my time would be better suited in improving the overall game, including the AI etc., than attempting to redo portions or entire multimedia code of the game to handle what I see as a minor issue. It is an issue I agree, but the question had to be asked which improvements were more important to implement with the time at hand.

I will continue to see what can be done about this as I understand it can be a problem, but please consider the workaround for the meantime as a viable option and happy gaming!

Hubert