The CD cover

coe

Has anyone noticed the CD cover ...

look at the face of the german soldier 5th from the

right...that's funny! ha ha.

I think the face is just a little bit offset...but

it makes it look like the guy has no neck (or is a hunchback)

C.

Carl von Mannerheim -- In deference to your greater seniority and knowledge of this fine topic we surrender the floor.

coe This is a cleaner version. I found it with a caption about the German victory parade in Warsaw, but it might just as easily have been taken somewhere else.

parade.jpg

[ December 26, 2002, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Carl von Mannerheim -- In deference to your greater seniority and knowledge of this fine topic we surrender the floor.

This has been discussed since the game first came out. We decided it was Either Madmatt or Moon :D

CvM

Edit, either that or some Russian made the cover (Damn Fascist Pigs!)

[ December 27, 2002, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: Carl Von Mannerheim ]

me seniority...nahh, so there were some

people quick to catch it....that's cool...how

subtle it was eased in there....

I was one of those people who didn't bother

even looking at the cover and was more concerned

trying to get to playing the game as soon as

possible...I played part of it again last night...

(lost all the German subs but the Italian Navy

is ruling the atlantic and the opposing british almost have jets...).

Conan

coe

"Me seniority, nah -- "

Not to take anything away from your ultra senior 961; I meant in relation to my number CvM had the seniority I was deferring to.

You don't have seniority as such, you're one of the original settlers! smile.gif

The last forum that gave the photo a going over was pretty funny but it's probably between five and ten pages back. A few guys thought the soldier in question possessed tusks and was a new or perhaps ancient species. If you can find it, it's worth going through. The title should be able to pick out, something like what's with the guy on the cover? or something similar.

[ December 27, 2002, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

speaking of the picture so graciously posted, the thought occurred to me, of all those people

marching there, I wonder if any of them thought,

y'know it'd be great if we had some body armour

(aside from the helmet)....

There was a recent show about that on the history channel, about how they began developing it in WW I and, even though it wasn't bullet proof it would still have prevented many of the casualties resulting from odd flying debree, etc., but it was decided only cowards would want to wear such a thing -- count me among them!

There a some special instances of it's use in WW II, bomber crews, etc.. But not much of an advance.

In WW I parachutes were also denied pilots and other aircraft crew members, in part, because they felt their would be a greater willingness to abandon damaged planes instead of nursing them safely home to the airstrip. :eek:

What gets me about the photo, and I'm sure it's an illusion, I get the feeling a lot of those guys are marching out of step, though that would have been unimaginable in the wehrmacht.

Originally posted by coe:

speaking of the picture so graciously posted, the thought occurred to me, of all those people

marching there, I wonder if any of them thought,

y'know it'd be great if we had some body armour

(aside from the helmet)....

Aside from the folly of some military leaders making decisions far from the front (which Jersey John pointed out), there was also the thought in those days before ballistic cloth that body armor would simply be impractical as it would reduce mobility to the point of uselessness... IT's always the infantryman that looks at the tank and thinks "Screw that, I need to be able t oget out of the way of the bullets."

Compassion

". . . there was also the thought in those days before ballistic cloth that body armor would simply be impractical as it would reduce mobility to the point of uselessness... IT's always the infantryman that looks at the tank and thinks "Screw that, I need to be able t oget out of the way of the bullets."

Exactly, they showed some of those early models and they were incredible -- one was described as having a tombstone in front of your chest! Other's weren't so bad, a few looked like Napoleonic corsair's breastplates, which they were doubtlessly modelled after.

One of the History channel shows had interviews with a centenarian, I think his last name was LaRouche (they also interviewed his brother -- long lived family, can't remember their first names). The old fellow led a charmed life, wounded in battle, gassed, survived a toppled tank, served as an aerial spotter/gunner and walked away from a wrecked plane -- this guy lived to be over 100 years old, go figure! I'll bet he was also a chain smoker. :D Anyway, when he recalled being in a tank and hearing those machine gun bullets thumping harmlessly off the steel hull, his eyes lit up and he said something like, "Oh, that feeling was just wonderful!"