AAR Iron vs Reepicheep - PBEM 1941 Senerio

Iron Ranger

Std 1941 senerio with Russia losing her extra 480 MPPs.

Iron as Allies - Reep as Axis (we've been changes sides every game so no secret to the how or why)

East: Central armys destoryed or surrounded, southern army dinged and norther air destroyed. A good opening move by germany. Russia couters but cuttting off the armor that attacked the air, retreating in the south and forming a line outside of Riga. Finland DOW Russia.

West: Looking for subs and bombarding the corps in Norway.

Med: Torbruk is being hit by axis armor and corps, HQ marching across desart to assist in defence.

[ December 29, 2003, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]

This is our game, right? smile.gif Sounds very familiar, at least. :D

Anyhow, we've been playing some of the 'other' campaigns in a 'fun' blitz through the holidays. We started with the 1943 scenario- me as Axis. It's obviously imbalanced in favor of the Allies (the Western Allies have a great deal of resources in particular), and I tried to smash Russia quickly. Made it to the gates of Moscow, but was thrown back and soundly thrashed (Russia taking Iraq didn't help- Iraq is a cherry waiting to be almost immediately picked by any Ally in this scenario).

We then swapped sides; and Iron gave it a shot, attempting to take minors while holding off the Russian hordes. Sweden, Spain, and Portugal fell- but Russia took Iraq and was pushing hard on the Eastern Front; and the Allies invaded Italy and were about to finish them, while maintaining a D-Day threat.

In the current battle (1941), the neutrality of the US makes for a very interesting game. I decided again to attempt the destroy Russia first strategy; and while I have farther to go than in 1943, the Russians have a great deal less- and the Western Allies are not a serious threat at this point. We'll see how it turns out!

July 41

Med: minor combat around the city of Torbrok, Axis attacking with one corp and one armor , UK defending with one corps and a 'backup' corps behind the city.

West: Norway is Isolated with UK fleet blockading the southern port and Bremen being hit by one BB, CV, AF, SB. The Canadian 1st army is sitting off shore. Subs continue to raid.

Baltic: Sea battle between German Sub and BB vs 2 Russian CBs. Sub excapes at str 1, one Russia ship sunk the other excape's to UK.

East: Riga river line is holding but Minsk has fallen. Armored battle around the central Russian mine. Axis lose one armor and have 2 units cutoff for two turns. But this is costly for Russia as she loses two armor and one army (no HQ support = defeat). Don river is maned, no crossings. Finland slowly being pushed back, Army cut down to str 1 and one corps heavly damaged. USSR AT L1 - Jets L1.

USA Readiness 65% (?)

Fall 41

West: Attack on Norway pulled back, no easy way to disloge the two german corps with such limited resources, also german subs are becoming a problem, bomber sent to Canada for scouting. Third fighter purchased and Gabralter fleet reachs Manchester for supply.

Med: Minor battles around Torbruk, minor movement. No sighting of axis units besides the 4 outside of Torbruk. All pulled out to russia?

East: Heavy battles near Krusk, central Russia is in German hands, Don river crossed, Riga river line falls back to Leningrad. My only HQ is pushing into Finland with three armys and my air is destroying the port every turn. Southern mines are still Red but the Fortress of Slavespool is only at L5, this will make it very hard to defend!.

Winter 41

Alantic: Subs spoted and sunk off the coast of Canada. Bomber sent to Torbrok, UK fleet with Russian BC in tow slits in two - Carriers returning to England with damaged BBs, BCs and undamaged BCs heading to Gabralter.

West: UK hording MPPs in case of a late sealion. Fighers bombing everything in sight.

Med: With support from air and naval units; Itialian corps outside of Torbrok destroyed and HQs damaged. Axis units retreat to Tripoli, DAK can't operate and is destroyed in expoitation attack. Axis HQs are disbanded and UK marchs west to Trioplio, facing one Corps and Army.

Early Winter

East: Backed by 5 L2 jets German takes Rostova and cross's the Dinepier. More units are battleing three Red Corps in the Crimea, with the low supply USSR can't do much. Moscow front is quiet and no units in sight of Leningrad. Finland is down to its capital and one corps. Siberian Troops Transfer. WHERE IS THE USA!

Late Winter

East: Finland falls. Major counter attack south of the Dinepier. A German army group (mostly damaged armor) has exploited down to the mines and been attacked by the Russian STT while a line of corps swings in behind from Stalingrad and (almost) cuts them off. Germany still holds Rostiva and has a HQ down there. Two armor destroyed and the Germans retreat quickly to the west side of the river. Damaged Russian units try to clear the Crimea but are whipped out by the five (L3 now) german air units (2 Corps 1 Armor destoyed for 1 German corps and one Minor Army). German Armys start marching on Moscow, the Red Army stands Ready. WHERE THE FUK IS THE USA!

USA joins in March - Damn Japs must not have bombed Peral Harbor this time!

West: Irland DOWed and taken. Brest attacked and isolated by Canadian troops, then taken by UK corps landing using the captured port.

Alantic: Two German BCs spoted in south Alantic, attacked and sunk in two turns by USA/Russian/UK ships. Funny they never moved or counter in three turns!

Med: Sicily left undefended so UK corps lands and attacks Itialian Fleet in port. Closing in on Tripoli, its being attacked by Naval units to reduce Entrenchment, Itialian corps east of the city has been destroyed.

East: The Battle for Moscow has begun! We are trading units with Russia taking the worse due to his now high exp air (they are causing up to 4 points of damage on each corps and not taking any in return). I conduct a 'corps swing' attack from Leningrad, 3 corps come down and whip around the west flank. Moscow gets a one turn reprive as he destoryes these units, but it is much needed as I now have repaired my armys to full strenght. The reprive is short lived as the following turn enough units are destoryed to place an Itilian Army right next to Moscow. The southern front is stable with his damanged (?) units and my corps on thier sides of the river. No axis units can be sighted in the Leningrad Front. Moscow might fall but the Red Army will fight on!

July 42:

Alantic: UK and USA fleets control everything.

West: Two full army groups are now in France and fighting Itilian units for the hexs around Paris. VF is still deactivated, so the front is a small one, no axis air in sight. The number of units each side has is almost equal but the allies have the better HQs and air/sea support from England. Soon 2-3 units per turn should be getting destroyed. UK at L3 Jets.

Baltic: In the late spring Russia invaded Sweden, three turns latter she surrendered. One army group is now moving on Norway. The UK fleet continues to isolate Norway and gain exp on the two corps in the citys. A raiding UK corps has landed in the Denmark neck and taken Humburg and isolated Coppinhagen (sp).

Med: UK controls all of North Africa (just took Tripoli last turn with attacks from 1CV, 1BB, 1AF & 3 corps)and Sicily. A raiding corps also landed in the NW city and is holding on. Only a light number of axis units are in or near the supply sources. Italy still controls 3 BBs, Iraq is still deactivated.

East: The battle for Moscow continues, for weeks on end now there has been heavy fighting (something like 8 Red corps, 3 Armys, 1 Armor destroyed for 6 Axis armys sent to the Gulags) in and around the city. The Germans have finaly taken a three hex front on the city and are using 6 L3 AFs to destroy Red Army units. The Red Army continues to hit back and is giving around 1/2 the damage back that it is reciving. Southern front is stable with USSR corps facing German armys and armor across the Dineper River. Leningrad front has started advancing this turn/month with a mix of armys and corps, they have taken the swamp hexs south of the city while only facing one Axis Minor army (encircled). Russia holds Finland & Sweden and reviled L3 jets in the attack on Sweden.

Moscow has become a 'fur ball' of combat sucking in all quality units from both sides. The Red Armys sacrific has allowed the West to get easy Landings in Italy and France and put them in a position were they will not be removed, ie they will continue to advace unchecked. It looks like the Axis are playing the 'break not bend' approch and once Moscow is taken they will be too weak to conduct any defense or attack for several turns.

Summer of 42 - last post on the game

Med: with the Greek capital empty I try and reduce it to less then 5. Two Naval hits and a Bomber only get it down to 6 :( . Several other move's in secret as I plan my next attack.

West: Two Corps destroyed, Allies now hold two hexs next to Paris. Reinforcements continue to arrive from USA and UK sends troops to help finish off the two german corps in Norway.

East: Moscow has fallen (with heavy damage to the attacking units), Russia counters killing one german army, one minor army and damaging another german army to str 2. Red air fleets are reinforced at set to 'trap' attacking German air that should be heavyly damaged after the last 2-8 turns of combat. Corps lines of defense are being set behind the Volga.

Axis player is burned out and surrenders.

Tech: chits/level/type

USSR 1/3/jets 0/1/AT

USA 1/1/AT

UK 3/3/jets 1/0/LR

Units left:

Navy - almost all but some damaged - high exp

Air - 3 L3 jets UK - 3 L3 jets Red vs 6 L3 Ger

Ground - USSR around 25

- USA around 10

- UK around 10

- Germany over 30

- Italy around 20

With two games in progress and this one compleated I would have to say that an unmodified 41 senerio is pro allies. But with afew changes it becomes balanced.