Events for SC2:Eben Emael

kurt88

I thought maybe now is a good time to come up with some events for Hubert so he can easily browse them.Maybe all forum members can contribute by starting event threads (clearly indicating EVENT FOR SC2) so they can be discussed and agreed upon.

As a Belgian SC player I was a bit amazed that the Low Countries didn't have a fortified hex:Eben Emael,widely considered one of the strongest fortifications of that time.So maybe there's room for it in SC2 (If the map is made bigger it should not be a problem and could only add to gameplay strategies).

On may 10th the Germans started their offensive on France,the Sichelschnitt:a feint in the North to tie up French and British troops and pursue a breakthrough in the Ardennes.Eben Emael and the Albertchannel blocked the way.German solution:glider-troops (Koch Storm Detachement) landed on the fort at 3.30 am and blew the defencive plates in front of the 75mm and 120mm heavy guns.A fight errupted and at midday may 11th the fort surrenderd and the German Panzers crossed the channels after securing the bridges.

How to implement this?

-good weather conditions on may 10th

-researched a tech (? not sure which,any suggestions?)

If these are the case:random die roll by the computer:-succesfull:one German corps in fort

-failed:nothing changes/one extra LC

corps near fort.

This is just a suggestion.Better solutions are welcome.

Holland also considered itself fortified. Certain areas were supposed to be flooded creating a huge moat behind which would have stood Fortress Holland. Unfortunately (or more likely, fortunately) German troops sped and dropped past those points before the Dutch were able to either open valves or muster defenders.

I don't think the Belgian Fort could be faithfully represented on this scale. If it is, the Germans should also receive a special fort busting unit as compensation, so nothing would be gained unless the fort busters were taken away in the campaign editor, which should always be an option.

Until 1936 Belgium had agreed to a mutual defense with France. Then, oddly, they changed course at the exact moment Germany reemerged as a military power.

[ March 28, 2003, 02:45 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]