Carriers

R.m.R

This idea might have been brought up here earlier but I'll still tell you my idea: how about if carriers would really be carriers? I mean, what if there would be a new unit, naval aircraft, that would be little less powerfull as basic jets? There would be space for maybe 3 fleets in one carrier. Of course, this would need some new coding to create the system, but it's just an idea.

And a good one, it would mean that carriers wouldn't vanish when all their striking force is destroyed. Also, naval air units could be weaker than landbased air fleets, intended primarily for use against surface vessels and rated accordingly. Giving the additional benefit of moving aircraft carriers away from coastal actions and air interdiction roles -- no aircraft carrier would have sat in London to intercept German air attacks, it would have sunk in the snap of a finger! -- and out into the ocean and deep mediteranean areas, where they belong.

Great Idea, R.m.R.

[ June 24, 2003, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

This has been a problem that LOONNGGG bothered me but it was simply so messed up I never bothered to say anything. This is one time where I honestly have no idea what Hubert was thinking, but how can a carrier attack a battleship from 100+ miles away, and sink? Even if every single plane was shot down, how could it sink. It makes not one bit of sense. There should be maybe a limit to the amount of damage they can receive back, for example if the carrier drops to below 5, they cannot attack anything, and have to port/repair for new aircraft. Or as you suggested add navel air to them like in Pacific General if anyone has ever played it, the carriers had hanger decks with squadrens completely seperate from the actual carrier other then if the carrier sinks, the hangers are gone.

Night

The funny thing is this exact topic was done to death around Christmas and the exact point you make is what we discussed most. I don't recall what the thread was called or I'd link it here.

Yes, I agree 100%, the carrier could only have died of a broken heart! :D

The hitch in all this was the stacking limitation of ZERO! I suspect that will also pop up as the idea killer in this one.