Russia too strong in the Gold Demo

DevilDog

Has anyone else experienced this? Russia was likely too weak in the beta, but now it seems way too strong. I played a game recently where all settings were default (so no FOW) and I was amazed at the increased number of units Russia had. I never even made it close to Moscow, and I began my invasion the first turn in August.

With the beta I had one game where I was about one turn from Russia surrendering (had taken everything except St. Petersburg and Moscow, both of which were surrounded) (and yes I had already taken everything back in the Urals). This was very difficult to do and probably wouldn't have happened against a human opponent. Maybe Russia needed a slight tweek to make it just a little tougher, as most attacks aren't nearly that successful.

However, Russia is now too fortified. I think the adjustment to Russia overcompensated. I doubt I would willingly fight Russia in this game any more, as even a novice gamer could easily hold off and then beat back the Germans. What does everyone else think?

[ July 26, 2002, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: DevilDog ]

I think you should reserve judgement on your Russian campaign strategy until the full game comes out. Your acheivements in the beta seem too quickly resolved and though Russia is a tougher nut to crack in the Gold demo, I think that is the way it should be.

Yes, but don't forget that the demo ends only several months short of when Barbarosa actually took place. So you wouldn't have a whole lot more troops. Play a game with no FOW and check out the number of Russian units. There are enough that it would be difficult to take out Russia reguardless of how many units Germany has. And don't forget that the longer you wait to invade the more units Russia gets, as well as a higher MPP pool for the first turn of active hostilities.

[ July 26, 2002, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: DevilDog ]

I just found out about Russia's collection of MPP's (while they are neutral) on another thread. Sounds like a real problem, but:

-do they collect all their MPP's or only part?

-if they only collect part, then what percentage?

On the point of the delay, however, the demo ends a few months short of the historical date for Barbarossa. I, for one, intend on playing as many games as possible with everybody set on "Random" (in keeping with the spirit of "What if?").

Originally posted by Randell Daigre:

I just found out about Russia's collection of MPP's (while they are neutral) on another thread. Sounds like a real problem, but:

-do they collect all their MPP's or only part?

-if they only collect part, then what percentage?

On the point of the delay, however, the demo ends a few months short of the historical date for Barbarossa. I, for one, intend on playing as many games as possible with everybody set on "Random" (in keeping with the spirit of "What if?").

Hubert has posted in the past that Russia gets a part of their MPP's. I think it might even have a sliding scale over time as well, but I could be making that part up ;)

Aloid

They will also declare war if you've invaded Britain and Yugoslavia and Portugal and have Spain on your side! smile.gif

Regretably I managed to get teh Blue Corps wiped during the Russian invasion (of Germany), and there wasn't really sufficient time to get revenge.

However I can assure you the Ruskies will have plenty of MPP's - they started with 540 vs me having squirreled away their acorns that's about 120% of a turn.

But the game ended the turn after GB surrendered (Manchester proved a tough nut - took 7 tech 1 airfleets to soften up enough and Rommel in charge of a much weakened 1st Pz Corps to occupy it!! :( ) with Germany having 1600 MPP's and no-where to spend them!! :D

Oh I meant to add - hte Russians came storming over hte border to be met by a "line" of corps armies and Pz groups - some of them under strength ad with a couple of gaps, and were promptly and easily thrown back a couple of hexes with heavy losses smile.gif