SPEED PLAY RULES suggestion...

anoldman

I was thinking about how even with TCPIP things take awhile and it is hard to get through a full game. So I thought of making a SPEED PLAY rule something like:

1- Players agree on time per turn.

2- Both players agree on a Unit that will be an amount to be fined if exceed time.

3- If a unit fine is incurred then Unit is sent to a sacrificial spot for destruction or just to an out of the way location for rest of war.

That is the gist of it and here would be the rules I would use to make that happen:

****************SPEED PLAY RULES******************

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At start of game Players decide on value of X and "Delay of Game Fine":

Example--

X = 5 minutes, 10 minutes, whetever two opponents agree on.

Delay of Game Fine = 1 Corp or 1 Army or 1 Tank unit etc... The higher the fine, the more bite you put into ending your turn before X time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPEED PLAY would work like this:

(I) Player 1, whose turn it is currently, sends out "START" msg.

(II) Player 2 sends out "5" msg and begins watch for X.

(III) <optional> Player 2 sends out 1 minute countdown msgs.

(IV) Player 2 sends out "2 MINUTES" warning msg, then "1 MINUTE WARNING!"

(V) Player 2 sends out "TIMES UP!!" msg.

(VI) Player 1 must end his turn BEFORE Player 2 sends out "TIMES UP!!" msg or he suffers a "Delay of Game Fine".

(VII) If Player 1 recieves “TIMES UP!!” msg, then he responds with a "ACKNOWLEDGED FINE" msg.

(VIII) Player 2 sends out "Fine=1 Time=5" msg. This starts an additional X period of time for Player 1 to complete his turn, and the process repeats from STEP (I). Player 1 pays an additional fine if he again does not complete his turn and so on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*How to collect a fine:*

(A) Player 1 recieved a single fine, and ended his turn before incurring another.

(B) At start of Player 2 turn, Player 2 sends out payment directions BEFORE taking any other action. Directions include:

o The unit to be purchased

o The location it is to be purchased at

o The method of transportation to destination*

o And last, the final destination of the unit.

© Player 1 writes down directions, and sends back "Understood" or "Got it" or whatever.

(D) Player 2 then sends back "START" and the Speed Play process begins with Player 2's turn. Player 2 then ends turn.

(E) At start of Player 1's turn, before Player 1 takes any other action, he must purchase the agreed upon fine, name it “FINE 1”, and follow the given directions to send off his sacrificed unit. Player 1 then send out “FINE PAID” msg when complete.

(F) Player 1 then sends out “START” msg, and begins his turn with the Speed Play process beginning again.

*NOTE: Method of transportation can include Sea Transport. This adds additional cost onto “Game Delay Fine” and is further deterrent to exceeding given time for your turn. You may not require fined player to use Operational Movement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROBLEM 1 - Player does not have enough funds at the start of his turn to pay fine.

### Then Player 1 may not spend any money on reinforcments or research or new units until he has paid his fine. This may be tracked by Player 2 simply watching his opponents funds level.

PROBLEM 2 – Player’s unit “fine” did not reach the designated sacrifrice location in a single move.

### Player 1 sends out final location of unit before beginning his turn. Player 1 is obligated to continue to send sacrficed unit by most direct route until it reaches its destination. Player 1 continues to send location updates to Player 2 at the end of every turn in which it has not reached its destiantion.

PROBLEM 3 – Unit to be sacrificed ran into an enemy unit or disclosed enemy positions along its route.

### Player 2 has responsibility to name start point and end point of unit. Player 1 has duty to send to location by most direct route. Player 2 has responsibility to weigh danger of unit disclosures or chance encounters when he selects start and end points.

PROBLEM 4 - Player doesn't send fined unit etc...

### Stop playing the person by TCPIP or throw SPEED PLAY RULES out the window... smile.gif

So, what do you think? I think it would be a fun way to speed up the games and provide some penalty for not ending your turn on time.

I think an X = 5-10 minutes and a Fine = 1 Infantry Corp would be about right.

Thanks for pointing out any problems with what you see above or just giving me your feedback.

Thanks

--An Old Man =)

I like your idea about a time limit. But not losing units for recompence. Just have the game turn end and you don't get to finish move all your units. However I've found at the end of the game you have many campaigns going on all over the place, and you need more time than at the beginning. Maybe agree to a time limit per year?

In my poker playing days in the card houses of California, the rule was simple. You had X amount of seconds to act on your hand, or ask for "time". If you didn't ask for "time," and time elapsed, you missed the opportunity to bet, call, ask for cards, etc., as play passed you by. I only made the mistake once of not asking for "time" (it cost me the pot).

In SC 2 I believe an option should include a clock, similar to chess matches. The clock would take into account the average length of turns for that period of the (TCP) campaign, but could also be adjusted up or down by a percentage. Players could of course suspend the clock if i.e., the baby needed changing, or the wife demand refreshing.

Otherwise, the turn would end, and info be transferred. All of us would eventually forget to ask for "time" once, but believe me, we would only do it once.

That's my idea

A timer Why not? It is obviousley needed if people are asking for it. I know i take my time on my moves. I get truly pissed if i forget to move a piece and the Entire Domino effect gets screwed. But Speed Chess is a cool variation that makes u react rather than Plan. With one little change can make an entirely differently played game, It would certainly change a few of my moves.