The "Siege of England" strategy

Machinov

Hi everybody,

Greetings from Spain.

I would like to say I have had a lot of fun playing this game; so, congratulation to Fury software and its designer. I must also say that it’s a good game but not the best one from my point of view (sorry Hubert), since it has lots of problems to simulate the actual WWII ground warfare and give both sides a balanced match. I would like to comment on both deficiencies sometime in the future but I should read your posts first since I’m new in this forum.

Anyway, let me focus on the topic of this post. I just wonder if someone has used the following strategy as Axis. I have called it “the siege of England” strategy because, unlike “the battle of England”, the main aim is not to conquer the island but to neutralize it as a potential enemy for later stages of the war. I have employed it from my very early matches as Axis and I think it’s infallible (although to be honest, many different strategies seem “infallible” for the Axis in this game). Ok, let’s go into details. The strategy is very simple and can be divided in different stages:

1st stage. Mounting a strategy which goes far beyond the France collapse.

As soon as possible and at the same time that operations against Poland, Denmark, Low Countries and France take place:

- Purchase air fleets.

- Invest in “long air range”. Give extreme priority to this, even higher than “Ind tech”.

During the France campaign you will start realizing that the purchase of air fleets instead of investing on “Ind tech” has been a right decision since it will speed up its collapse dramatically. If you already have advances on your secret weapon (“Long air range” technology), do not show the enemy this by bombing from far hexes.

2nd stage: Conquering new bases for your air supremacy on England.

As soon as France surrenders move the core of your army to Denmark, leaving an army group and a couple of air fleets to deal with any attempt against Brest. These air fleets (plus others) will be later used to control Southern England and Wales.

The key of this second stage is to take Norway and use it as a base to control Northern England and Scotland. After you manage this you probably have L2-3 in your secret weapon but the time to use it has not come yet if you are a bit patience. While you wait for L4-5 for the long air range you can attack and conquer Sweden. This is important not only because it is an important source of MPPs but also, and most importantly in this strategy, because this is what your opponent expects from you to do. In doing so, the allies think that the real aim of taking Norway is to give Germany a base for attacking Sweden and then all its armies will turn to the East…Nevertheless, part of your army (an army group and 3-4 air fleets) will turn to the Mountainous region near the Norwegian coast, and there they will wait.

3rd stage: The Eagle’s day.

With your air fleets spread throughout the Northern France and Norwegian coast and a bit of luck (say at least up to L4 in long air range), you will see a view that you wouldn’t have dreamt ever. Probably 2-3 English air fleets, Montgomery and a large number of ships at ports. Of course it depends on the Allies strategy, but it’s likely you will find units to bomb enough. What is funny is to see all your enemies and think that he doesn’t know what it’s going to happen soon. Then, I launch a massive air attack on his air fleets and then the rest (starting for the carriers). After the enemy air power is over, I focus on his naval power (and on Montgomery that will be looking for a harbour to escape from the slaughter). A surprising Eagle’s day has just taken place and there is nothing that the weak England (now even weaker) can do against.

4th stage: Doenitz gets into the battle. The beginning of the long siege.

After a couple of turns if not immediately, England is forced to withdraw all his ships far from the motherland. Then I start buying and placing subs near Liverpool. I have been able to put there up to 7 subs which “sink” up to half of the British production. If England sends his fleet to deal with them, you’ve got a good chance to annihilate the whole Navy with your planes. If England starts saving MPPs for the future (when Russia is already at war normally), and you don’t have nothing to bomb with your 3-4 air fleets (you don’t need more at this stage), then simulate an invasion sending a flotilla near London (do not be worried by his fleet, it will be far away). Then, an anxious player will buy corps/armies and, here you go, your pilots will have work for a couple of turns.

With huge and long-ranged air supremacy plus you subs (and the rest of your fleet of course) there is no chance for England to recover from the siege and neither by itself nor with the help of USA it will be a strong enemy any more.

Surprisingly and in spite of being used from my first game as Axis, I haven’t been able to find anyone who use this strategy when I play the Allies. Most of the players just turn to the East (and Scandinavia) after taking France. Has anyone ever tried this?

Advises and tips:

1. Long air range is high priority. You don’t need Jets technology to beat Allies air fleets even at a higher level. The experience that your air fleets have gained throughout the previous battles is by far enough.

2. Delay both USA and Russia to enter the war is very important. Attack only what you need to carry it out: Low Countries, France, Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Do not attack on the Balkans. I usually wait until the pro-allied coup in Yugoslavia to conquer it (be ready to do so before by having units nearby). It’s likely that your “Eagle’s day” comes before Russian preparation for war, but you need time to transfer all your power to the East after knocking England out.

3. You are not committed to wait for an “Eagle’s day”. I often attack English air fleets from Northern France as soon as they are within the range to do so. What it’s funny is that only a few players realise what your strategy is about and they just move their armies northward…to be caught by your Norwegian bases afterward.

4. The border between the “siege of England” operation and a proper Sealion operation is a thin line. After England is strongly weakened, is very easy to launch a proper invasion. The reasons I normally avoid that is because the premature Russian and American tendency to enter the war.

5. At later stages the siege operation can be extended to the Mediterranean sea too.

Thank you very much and enjoy.

Apologies for my poor English.

Great work Machinov! A good strategic option for the Axis! :D

I wonder, are you putting your newest airfleets on the westfront, where they can build up experience, and rather operate one of your airfleets from the westfront to the eastfront?

Or do you just build an airfleet directly on the eastfront?

~Norse~

[ November 04, 2002, 02:22 AM: Message edited by: Norse ]

Originally posted by Norse:

Great work Machinov! A good strategic option for the Axis! :D

I wonder, are you putting your newest airfleets on the westfront, where they can build up experience, and rather operate one of your airfleets from the westfront to the eastfront?

Or do you just build an airfleet directly on the eastfront?

~Norse~

Hi Norse,

Well I have always launched my particular “Eagle’s days” before attacking Russia. I always use my best and experienced Generals and my best air fleets to do so. Nevertheless, after you destroy everything on England, the opponent will tend to be reluctant to put something else. This is even better because you can now transfer most of your air fleets to deal with Russia. I normally leave 2-3 air fleets in France and just 2 in Norway, along with 2 army groups.

The two following movements in this strategy are often mistaken by your opponent.

1) He thinks that as soon as the Operation Barbarrosa takes place, he gets rid of the threat…just to find out that your planes are still there when he puts something on England (I often wait until he buys either an army group/air fleet or bring carriers to harbour…doing nothing if he just purchases cheap corpses…it’s like a game, you can see whatever he does, give him confidence that the threat is over and then…strike hard again!!)

2) What he never expects is that your Kriegmarine is going to have an important role in this siege. When you start placing subs near Liverpool, he thinks that it’s a little bother…then when you’ve got 5-7 over there and Britain is losing more than a half of its production…

This is the time to bring back part of your Luftwaffe which is fighting (and gaining experience) on the Eastern front (of course you can also buy new units, but I prefer to place them in the East where they will gain experience quickly). Sooner or later he will send his Navy against your subs and…probably he will surrender afterward (it happened to me three times).