Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Hubert: Possible Pacific Theatre extension, etc

gunnergoz

I posted these ideas in response to another thread but now think they may merit their own.

I'd like an option that would account for the Pacific war without actually having to include any extra maps, etc...just set up holding boxes in the East and West that the US, UK, USSR can set units in that will be out of play for at least one year (and may be killed off entirely according to an algorithm that figures wartime success/failure). The more units you devote to the PT, the more likely you are to win that one. Being frugal may cost you that war, you would have to keep close tab of the "Pacific Theatre war dispach screen" to see how you are doing. Of course there would have to be more MPP per side, to account for the other theatre.

Naturally this would be an option for the Allied player only, the AI would handle the Japanese "shadow" but it would be an added inducement to play Allies...I suspect a great many players focus on playing the Germans/Italians as it is.

One more thing I'd like to see included in the next upgrade would be amphibious transport. One of the great wartime bottlenecks was the ubiquitous LST, Landing Ship Tank. Shortages of these Large, Slow Targets dictated in part the dates of the various amphibious operations so crucial to winning the war for the Western powers. I would allow units to do non-combat naval transport as they do now, but only between established level 5+ ports. To do an amphibious landing would require an amphibious ship MPP allocation, which could be replicated as a menu option for the unit that would cost a considerably higher number of MPP per combat value of the unit, to ready the unit for transport. Thus, the unit would steam out of port ready to land at any appropriate beach hex. As the unit lands, the amphib transport counter disappears much as the ordinanry transport counter does now. This also removes the need to track yet another counter in an already crowded map.

Right now, transport of most units costs 20-30 MPP. It would not take much to allow "amphibious transport" as an option, but at a much higher price, say 100 MPP per average infantry corps or 200 for an army or tank group. Expensive? You Bet! Contested amphibious operations are some of the most expensive military missions that can be envisioned and take a long time and effort to plan and carry out.

This idea would place a premium upon the early capture of an enemy port city, something that is key to amphibious operations as seen in the West in WW2.

BTW Hubert, nothing in this post should be construed as discouragement...I love the game! And if you feel up to tackling a full Pacific War or Global War package, I'll buy it if I have to sell blood plasma! My own, even! :D:D

[ August 10, 2002, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: gunnergoz ]

Consider this an odd reply just to contrast tweaking SC with creating the next gen SC :D

I like all of your suggestions. I do not want any of them implemented in this SC.

SC is truely a (wonderful) game where the whole is way greater than the sum of the parts. It's the designer's framework that makes this so.

iirc, boxes were suggested for the sub warfare early on during the beta demo. HC indicated that playing it out on map was part of the game design. I'm very sympathetic towards that. I'm fairly convinced that it wouldn't take much tweaking to greatly dull the overall SC halo of fun.

otoh, I'm looking forward to the above suggestions and many others in a "SC2".

[ August 10, 2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: willgamer ]

You want to careful on making changes that would effect the gameplay. Like the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

SC plays great, many variables and potential outcomes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there aren't improvements possible. But right now the game plays like a quick light-tank, that's one of its overriding attributes. I don't want too many added overlays and additional optionis that it changes to a slow, cumbersome, Super Tiger.

Well, I appreciate that it is a great game as it stands. It will continue to be this, even if a future version is patched with improvements or issued as a major upgrade. One can always leave the original "jewel" on one's hard drive, eh? My purpose is to stimulate dialogue and get Huber's juices running with some imaginative input. I for one don't want to see this system lie fallow for long. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Narayan Sengupta:

I'm looking forward to a new Pacific Command that is dedicated to that theater, with cheaper naval units and more powerful CVs... :D

Narayan

I'm not sure the current naval code will permit

a decent recreation of the kinds of sea battles

we saw in the Pacific. For one thing CVs seem

sort of underpowered, and there isn't any

distinction between the air wing and the ship

itself (thus a 3 hex-distant battleship can

'sink' a carrier in SC if the latter attacks it). :eek:

Plus SC's current setup would mirror how the

admirals thought things would go in the pre-war

period: the carriers soften up the enemy in a

preliminary skirmish, then the battlewagons move

in for the final showdown. In reality the

battleships were an afterthought (except in some

night engagements). Plus in SC carriers are

SLOWER than BBs-can't figure that one out...

John DiFool