What settings give you the best game vs. AI as Axis?

Bullwinkle

Since I don't have time to fight a living opponent, I rely upon the AI for interesting contests.

I have been working on this for 2 months now - what settings give the greatest challenge for the Axis without being overwhelming?

The setting of Axis Novice Allies +1 with all options on except WIS gives a good game, but it wasn't THAT challenging. So I used the same settings except a +2 for the Allies and found that to be too hard - at least on my first attempt.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try?

I found intermediate +1 to be challenging and fun. i.e. I won but it was not a push over. (FOW on and Random for all countries)

I found expert +2 to be to difficult. i.e. I still don't know how to win here. (FOW on and Random for all countries).

I tried expert +2 with Russia Neutral and had an interesting game. You can experiment with options such as invading Sweeden and Iraq and then decide whether you want to go for Britain and US or Russia. (FOW on and all other coutries Random)

Next time I will try Expert + 0 or +1 as suggested above.

I can win as the Axis (experience +1) on expert fairly easily. But I'm finding it hard to beat the computer on expert as the allies (giving axis +1 exp)I find the Italian navy really beats me up unless I brind down half the Atlantic fleet to get them outnumbered. Thank god the Axis A.I never attempts Sealion before it attacks Russia! But on expert I once saw the computer immediately declare war on Vichy France then Spain. The bastards did all that to take Gibraltor from me. So I take out the Italian navy ( at a cost) but All my ships are trapped in the med. Do you guys find the Axis A.I smarter than the Allied A.I? That has certainly been my experience.

I find the Axis A.I. more aggressive and definitely smarter. The Allied A.I. waits to get hit then repairs itself; if it isn't too bludgeoned in Russia it does some aggressive things, but still not as aggressive as it's actions against the Allies.

As Allies I bring all the French BBs to the Med against the Italians and try not to lose any of the British fleet there. Early on I transfer the fleet around Alexandria to Malta, oper the airfleet there to Egypt and oper the Bomber fleet from England to Malta. The added range of the bombers is a help against the Italian navy. The air fleet from Malta is a big help against Iraq and Syria -- I pull the French Corps out of there and march it to Eygypt and transfer the other French corps from Algeria also to Egypt, so as to have them after France falls.

It's disappointing that the Axis A.I. doesn't make an early try for England and also that England can't defend itself more adequately in the event it is attempted. I think that's all wrong historically, as after Dunkirk the Brits strung obstacles and mines all along their Channel coast and raised a fairly large number of divisions to defend the area. In the game, an enterprising Axis player can find ways to knock Britain out early, despite the Royal Navy's notorious counter attack.

I've usually attempted Sea Lion after the USSR was conquered and out of my hair.

I am now playing a game where after the fall of France, I immediately launched into Sea Lion. So far, it's 1942 and I'm still stuck in the southern tip of England and the Brits are chewing up my men as fast as I'm transporting them to the beach-head although I've got total air superiority over Southern England. Plus, I had to strip my eastern garrisons to the bone to feed the British meat grinder. And wouldn't you know it - the USSR just declared war and has invaded :( . And all I have defending the eastern portion of my empire are a couple of a handful of German units (only one Panzer) and a small Bulgarian, Romanian, Hungarian and Italian task force.

I think I'm hosed :( .