HQ support question

RobRas

Hello smile.gif

I can't seem to grasp which units an HQ supports. I know the closest units are selected first but if more than five units are at the same distance from the HQ then what? I've tried to experiment whith placing 12 units at two hexes distance from an HQ in order to see which five would be supported - then removing units to see which ones would now be supported. But I just can't grasp the mechanics behind it. Can anyone help?

Best regards,

Robert

Which units are supported (same distance) depends on the geographical position. So for a certain hex and position in the rings around the HQ you could define in which order it supports the units - but in real combat it is not practical to try to calculate which unit is supported and which one not since it would need simply too much time. And it is not necessary anyway since there is a much simpler solution - that doesn´t take hours :D :

If more than five units are at the same distance:

Then simply move the surplus units one hex further away or position your HQ so the 5 units you want to support are the closest ones - or alternatively use an aditional HQ smile.gif .

How units are assigned to (several) HQs:

- if you have several HQs, then they support their units in a certain sequence: The order in that HQs support are from west to east and when more than one HQ are on the same longitude, it is from north to south (second criteria).

- HQs support the closest units first and go in circles outwards. I.e. first it searches for units in one hex distance, when there are less than 5 units, then it supports units in 2 hex distance and so on. In this aspect terrain doesnt matter, so it is not action points, but really only hexes (nevertheless, the range of a HQ is still 5 action points, so if a unit is more than 5 APs away, it cant be supported...here terrain matters).

- within the circles around the HQ, there is no simple rule in which they support the units. The order depends on the distance and the geographical position (to be precise: the longitude). Unit type, supply, readiness...etc. doesnt matter, only the longitude and in which circle the combat unit is. The order repeats every 2 degrees, but since you have 5 circles, there are still hundreds of posibilities. Simply too much to take into consideration during a real battle.

In the end:

It is pretty simple when you have several HQs (better than with only one HQ). Then - with some experience - you can easily calculate if your units will have HQ support or not and you can effectively position your HQs .

You know in which order your HQs support and that they support in circles, so only if you have more units than your HQs can support, some units on the periphery will not have HQ support. But since you know which HQ will be the last one for support, you only need to move the surplus combat units out of range - so in the end only the units that you really want to be supported, will be actually supported smile.gif .

Thanks, Terif.

And I agree: It's very seldom a relevant problem during the game. It just bothers me somewhat when a computer game has rules, mechanics or calculations which can't readily be understood. But that's life smile.gif

Best regards,

Robert