Research AI

Bruce70

I recently played a game against the AI (+1, FOW)the game ended after I had defeated all majors except USA which I was in the process of invading. When I checked the research screen I noticed that USSR had developed rockets to L5 but by the time I defeated them after a long struggle in about late '43 they had not built a single rocket unit.

A similar thing appears to be happening to a friend who is playing with FOW off. In his case Italy is up to L5 jets and has not yet built a sinlge air fleet.

So whats up?

Originally posted by Brian Rock:

Good points. So how do you think the research algorithm should be changed?

No idea how it works currently so I'm not sure how to change it. I guess giving a higher value (abstract value not MPP value) to units that are tech advanced would make sense if that is not already the case. But I guess the obvious answer is that whatever logic suggested that a lot of money be put into research in a particular area should also be suggesting that it use that tech.

Certainly the suggestion that there should be some balance between tech expenditure and actually purchasing units is a good one.

Posted by John DiFool:

Likely because their Ind Tech was nil or non-

existent, and an air unit would cost buuku bucks.

If that is the case then the AI needs to concentrate more on ind tech. But in the USSR case it had L5 ind tech also!

It is just possible I suppose (maybe even probable now that I think about it) that in all the above cases just one point was invested and they got very lucky. But even so the AI needs to take advantage of its luck.

No matter what the problem or solution, I think that the suggestions I made in another thread for improvements to the research system would help here. In particular - consuming RPs when an advance is made and having the chance of advances tied to unit experience. Especially the latter, so that getting an advance in Jets (for eg) should be extremely hard if you don't have any and reasonably difficult if you have them but don't use them.

[sorry for mixing two topics in one thread]

Originally posted by Rastan:

Italy always goes for jets in the couple of games I've played as the Allies... never seen an actual Italian airforce yet, but they research them every game.

I have and it is depressing to have my Brits and US being shot out of the air by Italian jets! However I did enjoy my 3 15 Italian airforces when they were pounding the Allies. smile.gif