demo

psyronin

Hey there. I'm trying out the demo for this game. Looks like WiF and plays like Panzer General, but I'm a bit lost. The so-called help that comes with the demo is more of a feature list. Would it kill the devs to make the full manual available? It would seem to be an extra incentive to buy. Anyway, I got a few questions:

1) What exactly does supply do and how does it work?

2) What exactly do HQs do? How useful is it to have one?

3) What's with the numbers on the ports? I see they go down when bombed.

4) How does strategic bombing work? I was playing the Axis side and the English bombed something and it said I lost 2 MPP. But the brits lost 1 plane, which to replace would cost more than 2 MPP. Looks like I'm winning the economics exchange there. What am I missing?

5) What's with the different colored hexes when I choose to move a unit inside enemy territory? Any ZOC rules in this game?

If anyone can answer these questions for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Hi there Psyronin, I will try to shed some light on your questions (for more thoughts you can search the forum using keywords)

1) Supply effects how troops fight and how much they move. If you land a troop via transport the first turn it has supply, then after that it will have no supply unless you get a HQ over with it. Units without supply attack poorly and can take massive casualties. I believe it was stated that HQ's have a max range of 5 land hexes. So a German HQ is Amsterdam can not supply a german infantry even in Southern England, you need to land one in England.

2) HQ's provide supply and rediness, they are very important as stated above for supply but also your units fight better with HQ support. This is very evident in air to air with Britian and Germany.

3) Resources, including ports have numbers. If damaged by bombing they will not be able to produce new units unit they repair themselves. Plus you lose MPP's for the damage, if your oppenent gets higher tech bombers he/she will do more damage and will be less likely to take damage.

4) Strategic Bombing is using a bomber to attack a resource. Fighters can too and some players do this to get experience for their air units although at first it seems silly to do a point of damage and loss 1 aircraft. As they air units gain experience they will do more damage and are less likely to take losses. Also it specifically limits the resource for producing (and perhaps repairing not real sure on that for ships in a damaged port).

5) Different colored hexes show your influence/control. If you blitz into russia alone hexes behind you may turn back to red, thus you lose supply and therefore effectiveness, mobility and are less likely if at all possible to reinforce said unit.

Hope these help, more info. can be found through searching forum but I realize that can take a lot of time. The fully patched game is much better that the demo as the developers have addressed many bugs and gamers complaints. Good luck!

Hmm you have obviously played WiF which means you must have a grasp of complex wargaming, yet you compared the game with Panzer General which has me confused.

Unless you meant the game is as easy to run as PG and that is about as far as the similarity can be taken.

SC has a nice interface to be sure, but the game is by no means any less complex than WiF (as far as decision making goes).

You will have to ask yourself though, do I like grand strategy or not. Because for my money, the demo is merely a teaser, it won't give you a full view of the game.

A day reading this forum here though is your best bet, if you need to decide whether to buy or not.

And the forum has plenty of WiF fans as well as plenty of A3R fans, so don't hesitate to use jargon that would be familiar to fans of those games.