Why can't you fire a moved you unit after you deselect it?

dougman4

Clearly, the inspiration for the game comes from two sources:

Axis and Allies

Panzer General II

Strategic Command's elegant interface is its strength, from which rule changes can easily be tweaked. These rule changes are always debatable. Best to provide the more popular ideas from the forums as options that can be toggled on or off.

However, I would suggest a gameplay mechanics modification. It could also be a feature that is toggled. And that is you can't fire a unit that has been moved after you deselect it. This was also the case with the first Panzer General game. However, this was fixed in Panzer General II so that the right to fire is preserved. Regardless of your personal opinion as to this, it could at least be provided as an option.

As originally posted by dougman4

Clearly, the inspiration for the game comes from two sources:

Axis and Allies

Panzer General II

Well, there is actually no way to know what Hubert's inspiration is, or was, or will be, unless he tells us. Even then, creators tend to the mythic and marvelous -- as devout or loutish or simply impish as Frank Lloyd Wright was once, yes? smile.gif

We each may speculate, and I have some ideas of my own; however, Western pop-culture provides nearly infinite images & icons, harmless Warholian or no,

and so let's then suppose that Hubert didn't mimic any single one or two or none nor many, but drew upon the whole handsome and awfully garish panopticon, yes? ;)

Originally posted by SixthArmy:

It seems to be deliberate. I don't think they want you to be able to move forward a unit to use as FO on an unidentified unit w/out burning its turn.

Thanks very much for your insight, this does seem like a plausible reason. However, there are times I inadvertently deselect the unit and loose the ability to attack with it on that turn.

And, there are other times when I have several units with which to attack and wish to compare the forecast casualties of each. Not a problem for stationary units, but if you move in a unit to do so you no longer have the option of choosing in what order to attack. This was roundly criticized in Panzer General I and was fixed in the subsequent release. At a minimum, I would like this to be an option that could be toggled on or off in the next patch or release.

Also, after you move a unit - but before you fire - you can not see the blinking lights of other units that can be moved and fired. So, unless you memorized the board, you do not know for certain what other units can join the fight if you choose not to fire with the currently selected one. This seem silly. Better to preserve the right to fire units after deselecting!

After another week and weekend of SC playing, there can be nothing as frustrating as moving a unit and inadvertently clicking off the unit and losing the right to fire it. I want to be able to move a unit and then reanalyze the battlefield. I want to choose the order of firing among my units, comparing forecast combat adjudication before firing. To thwart this is to render the game stunted, taking the initiative and planning ability away from the player.

[ October 21, 2002, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: dougman4 ]

Granted that, SeaMonkey, however because of the present game balance - EVERYTHING depends upon removing an enemy unit from the board. Merely beating it down is a waste of time (experience gains notwithstanding). So, everything depends upon careful battle adjudication. Often, the difference between removing an enemy unit and leaving it on the board with a strength of 1 is the order in which you fire your units. It is crucial to have the power to unselect and reselect a unit that has moved and be able to fire it later.