how to break fru w/out massive air firepower?

SixthArmy

I see ppl complain about too many air units. My question is: How do I break fru a line w/out air power? Especially in a situation where I can only attack from 2 sides. Massing air units and hammering a unit until it evaporates may be gamey, I just don't see any other way to do it.

Originally posted by SixthArmy:

I see ppl complain about too many air units. My question is: How do I break fru a line w/out air power? Especially in a situation where I can only attack from 2 sides. Massing air units and hammering a unit until it evaporates may be gamey, I just don't see any other way to do it.

Yep. The defensive is too powerful. A Corps can easily resist being attacked from two fronts, much less an army. The only option is to hit it with at least 2 air attacks simultaneously. And then, if you want any kind of real breakthrough, you have to do that at least twice in one turn.

Hence the game forces massive air fleets in order to be successful on the OstFront. I still think it would be very difficult to win on the East Front as the Axis player against a Soviet tactic of delaying at the front while building 3-4 corps per turn to set up a defensive line, without having a a-historical number of air units.

Jeff Heidman