Most bang for your MPPs

Iron Ranger

I thought I'd take a look at all the attack and defencive numbers divided by cost and rank each unit. I did not take into account any 'special' features such as the 5 APs of tanks or the extra long range of bombers. Normally these special features will give you reason to purchase one or two units but not shift its value enough to override its A&D numbers, if so I'll note it at the end. There are two unique values for most units, these are Air and Naval attack values for Armys and Armor, and Ressource attack values for Naval and Air units. Due to this each type of unit will have two values, the one on the left is the overall value the one on the right is the 'usefull' value (rarely do we see armys attacking Naval units or Carriers attacking citys). Each number will represent the cost in MPPs for each A&D value, lower is better.

Ground Units:

Rockets - 70 : 70

Army - 8.9 : 17.85

Armor - 10.48 : 15.47

Plane Units:

Air Fleets - 22 : 25

Bombers - 41 : 55.5

Naval Units:

BBs - 42.8 : 50

BCs - 45.45 : 50

Cvs - 38.88 : 43.75

Su - 65 : 65

Specal features:

Rockets: I'm not going to get into tech advantages in this post, but do note that for each level incress you get 4 'number' upgrades. This means that at mid to high levels the MPP to A&D number gets much lower. For the std oddites on rockets look up my two previous posts.

Subs: Subs have alot of neat features that don't come into play here, they dive, for the axis they raid, and they have a -1 spoting range making them great for 'gaurd' units. All of that is near meaningless for the Allies but great for the Axis, roughly cut the value in 1/2 for them.

Conclusions: I think everyone needs to draw there own due to so many special 'features; but I was surprised by a few things. Armor is way under used in our games, until AT comes along they are your most cost effective way to control the ground and afterword they still rock. Carriers are CHEAP for what you get, you can't win a game with them but you can control the air AND naval battles with them. Note that BCs are useless, they have the same or poor value then BBs.

[ January 28, 2004, 10:00 AM: Message edited by: Iron Ranger ]