Music Mod?

Flash Gordon

I spent the weekend laid up in bed with strep throat. I am currently involved in a PBEM game and because I couldn't anything in bed except play SC or read, my opponent and I ended up going through a LOT of turns. Each time I booted up SC, I had to hear that crazy music that goes on. Normally, it never bugged me but maybe it was just hearing it almost a dozen times during the course of the day or maybe it was because of the big ol' sinus headache I had but by the end of the evening, I couldn't bear to hear it anymore.

Is there anyway to replace the SC theme song with something less bold and strident? I was thinking of something mournful and melancholy. Has anyone made a music mod? I imagine it's just a matter of replacing a .wav file here and there?

I like to listen to music while I'm on the computer. I occassionaly find mysely going in and out of the PBEM while online, same as Flash, and that game intro is hard to take against something you're already listening to. I'd like to shut it off completely!

Repolacing any sound in SC is incredibly easy. Id like to commend the programers for being smart enough to have left all these options hanging out in the wind so to speak. Look in the so8nd folder under the main SC directory. The file your looking to replace is called Intro.wav Personaly I already replaced this with Duel Of the Fates from Star Wars, a much better bit of music I think tongue.gif If you own games like the Talonsoft series you can go into those programs and pick and choose the best sound files to use and recompile them in the SC folder.

Originally posted by Flash Gordon:

I was thinking about replacing it with Beethoven's Eroica - something a little less likely to grate on my jangled nerves.

Oddly enough, the Eroica was one of the pieces I was listening to [bruno Walter, Columbia Sym Orch]-- the lively third movement -- when I opened the game and the theme jumped in to make it a psychotic duet!

64463cvr.jpg

The problem is, if your listening to something like online radio you can't turn the sound off without disrupting what you're already listening to. I understand the game needs a theme -- I'd just like an option, or to know if it's there already, where it can be disabled.

[ November 26, 2002, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Don't wait for an arguement!

JosephKarlStieler_1820.jpg

Beethoven's Ninth seems to always be the number one choice. Agreed, it may very well be the most amazing piece ever written. A friend of mine seemed really amazed at the quiet complexity of the slow movement and I said, "He wrote it around a hundred and eighty years ago and he was deaf!" The guy nearly fell down.

Bruno Walter's 1963 recording of it with the Columbia Symphony was fine till the finale, where one of the male soloists isn't up to the task and everything wanes.

It's a shame because his recordings of the Third, Fourth and Sixth are among the best ever made and the Ninth would have rounded it out very well. At the time his Fifth was highly regarded but I prefer all three of von Karehan's recordings of the ninth with the Berlin Philharmonic. Walter's recordings of the Second, Seventh and Eighth are also very good.

The Eroica is one of my favorites and Walter's recording of it is the one I like best. If you're a Beethoven lover I really recommend Bruno Walter's late 50s early 60s recordings of the 3rd, 4th and 6th. with the Columbia Symphony; the Pastoral in particular.

Back in the mid-sixties I remember his Fifth being the most popular in America, with the Ninth gaining slowly but steadily.

[ November 26, 2002, 07:33 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Not familiar with Walter's production. My personal favorite of Beethoven's 3rd and 5th is the recording done by the Orchestre Revolutionnaire Et Romantique lead by John Eliot Gardiner. Its completely authentic in regards to the use of period instruments and critically acclaimed. My favorite 9th version is the Chicago Symphony version with Solti conducting. The third movement (adagio) is my favorite movement also, the word ephemeral was made to describe it. I actually prefer both the 1st and 3rd movement to the finale, the 1st movement touches emotions no other piece of music can come close to.

[ November 26, 2002, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Jestre ]

I'm a fan of Gardner's though I lean toward the older conductors from the fifties through eighties. Solti and von Karejan are my mainstays with Bernstein, Barbarolli, Szell and several others a little farther back. In ancient mono I like Toscanni a lot and also Furtwangler, though their interpretations were almost totally different.

For period instruments I like the 4 CD Box set of Schubert's symphonies by the Hanover Band and Roy Goodman, though I didn't care much for his/their Beethoven cycle.

Thanks for telling me about Gardner, I'll be sure to listen to those recordings.

[ November 26, 2002, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Great idea.

Agreed on his style. I used to wonder why his early works sounded so much like Mozart then I realized his tutor was Salieri, the guy who supposedly was so jealous of him!

The funny thing about the play Amadeaus is Mozart, Schubert and Beethoven all liked Salieri a lot -- Beethoven praised him as a friend.

I think Schubert finally found himself in the last three symphonies. I'd like to know what that lost one sounds like (if it isn't just a mistaken identity) and his string quartets and assorted other chamber music are also among my favorite 19th Century pieces.

Beethoven stymied a lot of German composers, especially Robert Schumann and Brahms. He was too much of a Giant and they were all wary of being compared to him.

Even as late as Schoenberg, with all his ultra-modernism, he said the most modern work of music was Beethoven's Grosse Fugue!

[ November 26, 2002, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Lehmann_lilli.jpg

Ride of the Valkyries (from Die Walkure) played on a helicopter of the Air Cavalry in Appocolypse Now , ("Scares the hell out of them!") Robert DuVal is the battle crazed surfing nut colonel.

Alvary_max.jpg

A very stirring and great piece of music. Zillions of recordings of it; there's a good budget CD from London, Weekend Classics called, appropriately enough, The Ride of the Valkyries -- Leopold Stokowski conducting the London Symphony Orchestra from the late 60s early 70s. Excellent though old recordings that still sound great.

Van_roov_anton.jpg

[ November 27, 2002, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

That'll wake a guy up alright!

I'd like to find that exact recording, with the soprano shrieking out those high notes, but the recordings I've bought are orchestral versions of the arias along with the preludes and overtures. Not being a real opera buff I haven't got the vocal version, I'm sure it's readily available on a "highlights" CD of Die Walkure exactly as it was performed in the movie, along with another hour or so of hefty ladies warbling at the top of their lungs in German.

Actually, a lot of Wagner selections are very similar to that one. Rhine maidens being ravaged by mountain gods, avenging angels flying throught the clouds on sturdy mounts, people traipsing through fires and becoming immortal, that sort of thing. I happen to like it; my wife can't take more than a minute and a half of that stuff.

[ November 27, 2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]