IRAQ - is it the Key to an allied Victory ????

82ndReady

Im just going to throw this out there, with version 1.06 released and now that you all have had sometime to kick this patch around a bit, it seems to me that the key to an allied victory lies in the control of Iraq!!!! And more so now with the addition of being able to round the cape of Africa to the Suez. Can anyone add there fresh opinion to this...... :confused:

As originally posted by 82ndReady:

...it seems to me that the key to an allied victory lies in the control of Iraq!!!!

It is imperative as Allies that you take Iraq, but NOT before USA enters, otherwise their War Entry % will decrease, causing all manner of new problems.

And the best thing, the Axis simply cannot stop you from doing so. ;)

I have played a quite few games now using the new patch v1.06 and with the addition of Africa to Egypt transfer it has changed the outcome for the allies more than once! As to holding off the Axis in taking the region, it is really up to the Axis if they want it or not. If there strategy is to stop the Iraq takeover or take it themselfs they can do it(keep in mind the goal would be to be very passive towards the Russians to keep the entry low to achieve this goal)! IMO taking Egypt/Iraq region will win or at least make the chance greater for the Axis to win but without it the balance of the game can change very easily!!!! tongue.gif

IMO this new patch v1.06 solves a lot of the PRO-AXIS game play making it a more enjoyable game to play, playing either side! :D

When Russia is a belligerent, the Allies' seizure of Iraq opens a supply route from Egypt to an Allied capital (Moscow). So the yield of Egyptian MPPs goes up! Moreover, it then becomes easy to transfer Allied air and land units from the Middle East to Russia, helping to save Stalingrad from the evil forces of the Reich and its Axis clients.

JIMR Wrote

When Russia is a belligerent, the Allies' seizure of Iraq opens a supply route from Egypt to an Allied capital (Moscow).

This only happens when the German player has been delayed by a year or more in France and then there trying to make up for lost time and MPP by attacking minors to gain the MPP loss to go fight the Russians that have now entered the war! Whehhh that was a lot to get out.....

Here it is in a nut shell.....

AXIS Strategyfor the Egypt/Iraq Region could be, attack the following Poland, Low Lands, France, Denmark in that order. Attack Yugo after they go Pro-Allied safer on the Russian Entry level just post some armies and 1 maybe 2 air with HQ to take it. Tech for Axis could be Ind, Tanks, Jets for both maybe subs for italians instead of Jets! Commit 4 to 5 Air fleets plus 3 Armies and 2 HQs(Level 6) to taking egypt for the Germans the Itlaians help with corps and add there navy to the fray!(Italy will most likely loose her navy but start thinking subs there cheaper and can avoid attacks better plus add Sub tech and you can have the MED!)

By this time its mid '42 units are cheaper tech can be had easier because the allies are going in that direction and remember time is on your side here! You could have up to 10 maybe 12 Air fleets on the Russian front after the Region falls and you had no losses(Dont count on it, I had one time 5 Air units killed off!) 8-9 tanks with level 1 and 6-7 armies and some corp, when you go into russia start building armis and corps and settle on the fact what you have for an offense is it because if your up against a good russian player they will exact losses keeping you from making new offensive units!!

Thats my take on the whole Egypt/Iraq scenario, does anyone else have another strategy or anything to add????

• 1 month later...

Definitely worth bringing up. After you did, I started looking at this closer and closer, particularly with 1.06.

I'll expand on the question, as I see it:

If the Germans do not do Sea Lion, it is IMPERATIVE for the Germans to take Malta, Alexandria, and then Irag. I think this is more important than trying to take Norway/Sweden (and more fun too). That's alot of MMPS. I think it comes out to 25MMP takeaway, and a whopping 85 MMP's gained (if I calculate correctly)

If the Germans do not do SeaLion, and do not take Alexandria, then the British definitely should prepare to, and do so at the sooner possible. For them, it's a 50MMP gainer. Very key. And leaves open taking out Tobruck for a 10MMP takeaway another 20MMP gain.

So the best way for the allied to play the game is:hold on in russia,retreat,restrengthen and placing new units.Usa start building up to invade Vichy (Africa) and later Portugal and/or Spain.

England build up for invasion France or try for Iraq and rest of Africa?

If anyone could give me some pointers on how to play allied I would greatly appreciate it.

It clearly requires a solid strategy to beat them nazis. smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Steve C:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Immer Etwas:

[it is imperative as Allies that you take Iraq, but NOT before USA enters, otherwise their War Entry % will decrease, causing all manner of new problems.

I'm not so sure of this. The plunder is a real shot in the arm for the cash-starved British and the additional 24 MPP every turn from Baghdad and the two oil wells is very, very welcome.

I played my first game as Allies this week and essayed this strategy: build a British HQ and armor unit ASAP, ship them to French-controlled Beirut along with the Canadian army and take Iraq. Yes, it did piss off the Americans (+1 to -7). They didn't declare war until July '42 but I think this may have had more to do with my delaying the fall of France into '41 than the reduction in war entry %. Also, the Axis AI wasn't too agressive with raping the neutral countries, took Denmark but nothing else, so probably that helped keep the US war readiness low.....LOL, and the Russians didn't care less even though Iraq is right next door.

But if you're gonna do it, do it before France goes down so you can use the superior logistics through Beirut and the French corps stationed there. Also, running the transports straight through the Med is a lot quicker than going around the horn and safe since Italy is still on the sidelines.

Anyhow, this game was too easy a victory on Beginner / +0 setting. April '43 was a glorious month for the Allies. Montgomery got his victory parade down the Champs Elysees and T-34's rolled through the rubble that was Berlin. I'm ready to ramp up to Expert / +1, try the early Iraq conquest again and report on how it works out. [/QB]</font>