A.I. & PBEM

Grobdeutschland

I've been holding out for a long time...waiting & searching for a grand strategy WW2 game & I wonder if this is it. I have just 2 Q's that my 1 hour of reading the player's posts has not yet clarified:

1) I've read the A.I. is not great, but can it provide a (no cheating) challenge at it's maxed settings.

2) How well does the e-mail play, is it intuitive & secure?

I'm sure I could've found the answers if I tried to, however, I also wanted to express my joy in seeing that the wargaming community is alive & well. I intend to order SC & run it through the meatgrinder, but I've been burned before so I'd appreciate some feedback first.

To the last man, shall we?

SC is GOOD.

The AI is as good as it gets (IMO) and presents a way of learning the game and a real challenge if you adjusts its starting points and bonus.

Where the game really shines however is in the PBEM and the TCP/IP this is funny, simple to set up, and presents some good challenges.

Dragoon 19

It depends on what you are looking for. SC is not at the level of a WiF (I am hearing some rumors the computer version may launch in the next month or so but that has been rumored for the last 2 years).

If you are looking for a fun, relatively quick game that is playable, albeit still tilted to the Axis then this is it.

The AI is next to impossible to beat at expert/+2 experience (max. setting). It doesn't cheat, the extra experience simply allows it to walk all over your inexperienced units (hint!). GD, you will be hard pressed to find a more enjoyable WW II strategic level "what if" sim. given limited time aspect.

The PBEM option is great!

It has the nice feature of replaying the opponents turn when you open the file.

It's always nice to know how your units perished. ;)

One note to add is that you should probably zip your pbem files before sending them since the files are about 500K. Once zipped they are closer to 100K. This is better if you don't have a high-speed connection.

[ December 06, 2002, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: Der Panzinator ]

Thank you for your reponses, especially the picture post - that was a nice touch. Apparently there will be no problems finding opponents to play with and for that reason alone the game should be well worth it. As soon as I get a copy and have had time to sharpen my wits I'll be looking for a few good men...or women or whatever. See you guys soon.

PS: JIMR -Good point- Developers that continually support their products long after release will always get my business. This has been the key to success for Battlefront.com and I hope the "other guys" learn this some day.