Italians fighting towards Leningrad

kurt88

Playing against the AI on normal difficulty as the allied,I noticed that the AI mixes German and Italians up in all directions,especially in Russia.

This can't be right,right?

It makes defending the Russian steppes very hard.

Is there a good counter against this overwhelming force rolling over russia?

Maybe this should be altered in SC2

Dear Kurt

The Italian Army in Russia had three corps of infantry. They were destroyed in the 1942/43 Russian Winter Offensive north of Stalingrad, and never replaced. These troops weren't any better or worst than any other Axis Minor force, they had no anti-tank weapons worth a damn, the the Russia Tank force went thru them like a hot knife thru butter.

In SC I've had up to 8 It. Armies with 2 Air Force units in Russia. The game does not allow the other Axis minor forces to produce any more corps, so I just pretend/assume that they are the replacements and additional forces the Romania, Hungary, and Finland Armies could produce. It's not a perfect world! :eek:

Ah the Italian 8th Army. I am re-reading one of my favourite books, "Enemy at the Gates" by William Craig (Nothing like the cheesy hollywood movie bearing the same name)in honour of the 60th anniversary of the surrender at Stalingrad coming up here shortly.

It has some great accounts by Italian soldiers of when Big Saturn began and crushed their army. It details the confusion, abuse by the germans, their march into captivity, and the prison camp (where some had resorted to cannibalism).

It's a really good account and I would like to find the original accounts of the Italians soldiers quoted translated into english so I could see what was left out.

Yes, the AI loves to send lots of Italians to Russia, HQ's, Armies, Air Fleets. But since the are usually technically weaker than the germans and have poor HQ's they are the place to hit when trying to break the line.

Notice how when you play the Axis, the AI loves to attack any italians or other axis minor before it attacks the germans?

For those interested here is the org chart for the Italian 8th Army:

http://www.freeport-tech.com/WWII/019_italy/_42-8a.htm

Now did someone say vodka?