About the URSS readiness whe fall London...

nanope

Now I am playing a PBEM game and LOndon have fallen 5 or 6 tuns ago. The problem is that the URSS readiness go on the same (the US are already made the DOW).

My problem is that I have read in the "Strategy Guide Update and Errata" the next :

"When London falls, then there is a quick USSR war readiness increase starting at about 10% a turn and increasing quickly"

Obviously this has not happened in my game (unfortunately I am playing with the allies and without the russian soon I do not have hope).

Could someone explain what is happening here? and more important for futures game, how really work the USSR readiness when a Sealion?

Hmmmm. So much depends on how the game interprets "Prolonged battle in England after an Axis Sealion attempt" and "UK is near surrender" which trigger the various changes in war readiness. Sealion might also affect the "normal" USSR reaction to Axis garrisons along German/Soviet border. Maybe the timeframe of Sealion produces a different effect. Maybe the overall Axis/Allies force ratio has an effect, like it does for Siberian transfer. And then there is also some randomness in the process. It's very hard to define exactly what is going on, which is great for replayability but insanely frustrating when trying to figure out what's going on. Only Hubert knows for sure.

The errata entry was based on some player feedback here on the forum about USSR readiness increasing after London falls, which is consistent with what I've seen. But you're not seeing any significant changes after several turns?? Maybe this is an early Sealion, or the Allies are sufficiently strong that the "prolonged battle" threshold hasn't been reached, or something else. You are playing with USSR on random entry, right?

Anyone else ever have this situation?

Yes..and now England has fallen (and the americans are alone)and the USRR readiness do not increases (it is at 45)...

And yes it is in random entry (when I read your comment I open the game and check it quicly...it coul be a way to start again ;) )

But I think that maybe the explanation could be in one of the thing you say ("maybe this is an early sealion") although I have never read this in no guide.

Yes ...45 and stopped (we are at the end of 1940)...

But the problem is important to me because for futures game. I Though that when you are desperate you could to abandon London to defend Manchester (and hoping that with the ocupation of London the russian made the DOW quickly). But now I would no recomend this tactic.

Only Hubert knows for sure
... and I do :D

If Axis units are around Manchester or London, then russian readiness starts incresing: January 5, 1941 allied turn/ February 2, 1941 Axis turn with 10 %/turn.

Since in Nanopes game England has been lost in 1940, russian readiness didnt increase. He has to wait until January/February 1941 and make sure that still Axis units are in England (move some US transports there if Axis removed their units). Without Axis units around Manchester or London readiness will not increase, otherwise Russia will join some turns after February 1941.

Consequence:

Dont loose England too early ( and France ;) ), or you have a big problem since you will have to fight without Russia. Always be prepared for an early Sealion smile.gif .

[ October 10, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Rannug is my rival in this game ... so Terif you must wait we finish to answer him :D ....

I was joking ;) . I think he rannug's quetion

is a relevant one (I need a lot of time to know that the URSS border was defines as three hexes)

Around Manchester or London means a ring around the cities, only one hex away.

BTW: Never give up London without a fight or England is lost. Allies have to delay the fall until 1941 and should force Axis to land units in order to attack/take cities.

Axis usually blow away the corps in London with air, but if you have at least 2 corps adjacent to London (one of them should also protect the port, so that it cant be captured..), then an Axis transport can not land and take the city, even if the corps within the city is destroyed (a landed unit has only 1 action point, but would need two to enter a guarded city ;) ).

This way (corps defence) you can force Axis to attack London with ground units (in an early Sealion Germany has not 10+ airfleets, so they can kill max only one corps/turn with air), so that russian/US readiness increases (enemy units within one hex distance of London or Manchester).

It is not possible to take London in one turn if UK takes care. Therefore you will see if the "Sealion" is a feint(only air attacks) or not (Axis lands several units in England) BEFORE London falls smile.gif .

Killing ground units with air (expecially in London with anti-air) is expensive. Therefore its no problem for Allies if Axis air attacks UK corps in England. This way Axis usually looses much more mpp than UK (if Montgomery commands the UK units !), Axis air also doesnt build up much experience (they loose it when reinforcing) and the airfleets cant be used somewhere else to take neutrals/do better things.

If Axis really goes for Sealion, then its time to use the royal navy and kill axis transports even if you loose most of the ships. This at least delays the fall of England or even can win the war. UK doesnt need the ships later anyway: either UK falls and the ships surrender, or Axis surrenders :D .

Here are some edited comments that I have previously copied from the forum:

Invading Edinburgh or Scapa Flow had no affect on USA/USSR war readiness.

Once German units approach London or Manchester the USA war readiness increases 10% a turn. However, there is no USSR war readiness increase.

If London falls, then there is a quick Russian War readiness increase starting at around 10% a turn and increasing quickly. However, perhaps more Germany troops on the USSR border would decrease this. (I only had two units. Some more testing would be needed).

However, if Manchester falls before London there is no quick USSR war readiness increase as if London fell first. The USSR war readiness remains the same until London falls. So I guess better players could plan a strategy of attacking Manchester first and London second. Then when London falls the UK surrenders at the same time that the USSR war readiness begins to increase. Curry

Hi Dan Fenton:

Concerning your copied comments:

No 1: correct

No 2: correct before 1941 as mentioned above, but russian readiness also increases 10%/turn after Jan/Feb 1941.

No 3: partly correct, London has not to fall. Readiness also increases when enemy units move in the vicinity. A sealion has no effect upon the units needed for the russian border. Still minimum 4 units after Oct/Nov 1940.

No 4: wrong.

Hi Curry,

Yes, seems you conquered Manchester in 1940, so there was no russian readiness increase. Then you conquered London in 1941, so then readiness increase started. Try it after Feb 1941 and you will see readiness increases. The order is not important, only the time when you attack the cities smile.gif .

[ October 13, 2003, 05:59 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]