SC: Liam Rambo Mini AAR

Liam

Well, I didn't really beat Rambo, he conceded due to the fact of endurance. Both of us played a fairly sloppy game after deep into the A.M. Hours which really can't be helped sometimes.

I started off with easily taking LC-Denmark Poland, <but a turn late with some bad luck>

Rambo made a foolish move going after my Baltic fleet I held up in the Far corner of the Baltic away from his supply. Slowly attritted away the strength of some of those valuable mainline Capitol Ships..I have learned from experience if a Good Ally Wants your Fleet, it's a dead duck... Don't try and keep it...

By the time I got ready to attack France I was in a weak position, most my units were not in place or HQ supported where I wanted them. I had only 4 air due to Rambo's counterattacks but 3 HQs with Rommel. Managed to get into France and walk away I think with the loss of 1 armor. But the problem was now it was pushing '41 and I was on the decline...

So I was smart, I decided Sea Lion or Bust. Rambo had snuck in a Norway Invasion after occuppying Denmark. Though I had knowledge that French fleets were still held up in the Baltic so I blockaded with Air a sub I purchased at Fall of France. Costly move for Rambo, he ended rebooting with a power failure and didn't realize that he'd lost his only Brit HQ to my sub waiting for his Free French Fleet... I hit it once with the sub and followed up with my air.. Then operated over my now growing airforce to smash up all his remaining Carriers. Weakening or destroying most of them...

<I sucked up Vichy in 1 turn>Knowing he was out of place and time was of the essence... I placed in 7-8 airfleets in position for Battle Britian. My Italians after pounding through Gibraltar arrived a turn late and I only had 1 German sub to support my Transports. 5 germans landed with an HQ. Foolishly I landed 1 next to London and didn't take it!!!??? Although intelligently I bottled up Norway by pounding the Port and occuppying the only escape route in Bergen.

at least 2 brit armies were there...so it wasn't much pain with only 2 Brit Air to finish off Britian.. Problem was that Russian Readiness that had already moved more than 'usual' was pumping hard.

He came in and smashed through the East.. I performed a last miracle in the face of about 10 defending Brit Corps. I smooshed Manchester took the Capitol right as the Americans had arrived!

By the time I moved back to the Eastern Front Berlin was sieged but Rambo never went after the Balkans. Costly move... I held out to the very end in the Balkans with him in about a 2 hour slugfest of dead German and Russian bodies. The Americans not quite potent enough to do much contribution...

In the end I feel that Rambo definitely had me. Patience though wasn't on his side... He DOWed Sweden, Turkey and Iraq to end it fast.

I began Minor hopping. I'm not sure that I could have held out. Romania was near falling, MPP production was close to even and Russia was sacking the crap out of Minors...

IMO:

it's far too easy for Germany to perform a Sea Lion. I haven't failed in my last 5 attempts...

Also it's unrealistic the starting values of the French and Russian Militaries... the US should be higher rated than they are. More like 7-9 US Armies. 2 HQs, 2 Armors, 2 fighters, 2 Bombers... That would be an accurate start with 4-5 Battleships...That's about how history was

Seeing how small the map is also makes the Fall of France that much more difficult. Though it does somewhat represent in history the narrow path the Germans had. We learn these same pathways inside and out and leave little room for exploration of new strategies.. Aside from some real ahistorical like a Gambit, or such...

France's military was soooooo weak it would've been impossible to hold out like this... Plus it's so easy to do an amphibious operation without much MPP investment. Any Nation can become a Naval Threat instantly... Which is really messy... Germany and Russia both were very much Land Animals and never did much on the Seas in WW2

the Germans would've had to wait half a decade to compete with the Royal Navy... And the US Navy could've outproduced the Royal Navy in short order

it's far too easy for Germany to perform a Sea Lion. I haven't failed in my last 5 attempts...

The UK needs to think 'Sealion prevention' untill Germany is boged down in Russia. However most players are thinking 'tech' and leave themselves open for Sealion - they also cash in the bomber, this unit is the Key to stoping an early sealion but most players dump it instead.

But your right - IF the Axis REALLY want UK there is nothing but luck from stoping them. But they will have to deal with an early entry of USSR and USA (who is useless due to her weak navy).

Ranger,

give France up to Early the Axis will do a Vampire Minor Job...

Put too much in France and Britian is vulnerable too even teh worst Axis. I'm a so so France killer.... but anyone can perform a SeaLion after a few tries

Yup, read my earlier post. "France falls before May 1940 - game over - axis win.".

Holding onto France for as long as possiable - WITHOUT - losing too many UK units is the only way the allies have a chance.

As you noted, the allies can't stop the axis from succeding in operation Sealion but they can cause it to be so painfull that they should go the minor route and maybe turn east.

give France up to Early the Axis will do a Vampire Minor Job...

Put too much in France and Britian is vulnerable too even teh worst Axis. I'm a so so France killer.... but anyone can perform a SeaLion after a few tries

As you noted else where - the allies need 'perfection' to stand a chance against the axis.

Reading the above you could say they need 'balance' to surivive the early game aginst a expert player.