Hmm I don't know about this..

Kleist

I hate to say it but I am going to post a few negatives about what I see so far

A) Only to 1944?

Most games that try to conquer this scale whould at least 1) go to the end of the war 2) go past the end of the war to allow grognards to rewrite history

B) it looks almost exactly like a re-work of Clash of Steel, and the counters are weak from I can see in the screenshots. It looks like Clash of Steel re-released.

C) there is another game coming out that will have a better political model, a better economic model as well and that is Hearts of Iron

http://www.paradox-entertainment.com/hearts.asp

How do you plan to contend with a game that is already having more features than this one?

Kleist, you apparently didn't read the earlier threads. The 1939-1944 dates are *starting* dates for scenarios, not the only years they occur in. So you'll get a scenario that's '39 to end of war (whenever that may be), '40 to end of war (when ever that may be), and so on until '44 to end of war.

Battlefront guys, you may consider re-wording the text on the web site, as this seems to be confusing some folks.

ahh ok that makes alot more sense!

i was about to say...that is just plain odd

I hope battlefront does well with this game i know I will probably get it as well as HOI. At this point with the lack of grand strategic games for ww2 any game is a welcome

Originally posted by Kleist:

C) there is another game coming out that will have a better political model, a better economic model as well and that is Hearts of Iron

http://www.paradox-entertainment.com/hearts.asp

How do you plan to contend with a game that is already having more features than this one?

Huh, I had the exact opposite reaction to the announcements of SC and HOI. Europa Universalis 2 is one of the best strategy games ever released, but I've got serious doubts about how suitable its engine will be for a WWII game.

Originally posted by Kent Pfeiffer:

Huh, I had the exact opposite reaction to the announcements of SC and HOI. Europa Universalis 2 is one of the best strategy games ever released, but I've got serious doubts about how suitable its engine will be for a WWII game.

Agreed. EU seems just a tad too on the micro-management politico-economic side to handle what should be more a pure strategic "wargame".

If anything, I was thinking more along the lines of Third Reich, but with more detail factored into the behind-the-scenes elements. Just wish that level of detail went into the map and counters too...

Kleist:

"The HOI FAQ (Long)

I thought it might be a good idea to collect everything that Johan and co. has said about the game and put it into one thread. Maybe this way we can get a feel for how this game is developing..."

No, it's not a good idea, or at least, this isn't a good place smile.gif I understand your desire to compare the two games as there are similiarities on the theme they cover, but they will remain two different games. Be happy that there are two different approaches to this and that you might get two interesting games with different angles - but on THIS forum, let's focus on THIS game, ok?

Thanks,

Martin

Originally posted by Kleist:

They look like completely different games (except for the setting). Hearts of Iron looks like EU with tanks... and possibly economic/political systems taking place of religion in the EU engine.

NOt a bad thing and something I'll be looking forward to, but it looks like a smart, fun & challenging 4x game (as EU & EU2 were) set in the 30's and 40's, but not like a recreation of the war as it was. There's plenty of room for a true Grand Strategy game of WWII as well.

Now if only if someone combined War In Europe with War in Russia (Greg Grisby's War In Russia is the greatest strategy game as far as hex goes but it's DOS interface is so convoluted that it took me a year to figure out and is a pain to play but it's battle system is the best).

It's down the man, tank (and tank type), availble artilarry, as well as historical generals in charge of the Korps and Army Groups.

Almost too detailed, but doesn't give the extesive parts of working with the navy (just the russian war) and doesn't involve anything prior to 1941 (which doesn't let you set up a What if like in War in Europe)

War in Europe on the other hand is fun to play with other people be email and almost looks like what this game is except it's too arbitrary unlike WIR... And either you have a full division at full strenth or you don't...

No moral... No entrenching and tank types are accounted for so that part is pretty bland but is still a cool game.

Now if you could make a game from 1936 to 1955 with theoretical weapons, individual attrition down to the man and weapon type in which it did instead of a I-go U-go take turn format...

Instead did a we both go at the same time like how Combat Mission does which which you choose defense offensive and a path plot like War In Russia (as well as preemptive artilary assaults to blunt offensives)

Well... And one you could decdie the individual production of untis types and research true to life and theoretical upgrades...

Then you got my $$$

Greg Grisby is making a new game but it's in just the pacific but it looks good.

Perhaps if Strategic command combined more of War in Russia in it and made a slick interface it would be very sweet.

I don't know about Europa Universalis interface for WWII though.. So much other factors than just throwing clumps of troops at things.

Originally posted by Funker Vertinox:

btw here is War in Russia

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/warinrussia/features.asp

But it takes 6 months to learn it's old dos interface smile.gif

but it's a great concept

DOS? What is this DOS you speak of? I learned the game on an Apple ][e way back when. Luckily, I still have the manual (discs long gone), so the releanring curve isn't much.

But then I was a big time nerd and knew the ascii shortcuts to move around on a screen, so the WiR layout wasn't so hard to learn.