My house rules to address some of the problems....

Scorpion_sk

For a long time we´ve just discussed about what should be done to the game to make it represent WW2 and history better.

Well, I decided that everything relevant has been said, Hubert is in the know now and either will or will not do something about it.

Meanwhile, I have devised my own set of house rules, with which I am going to start my next game of SC with my regular opponent.

1. The U.S. start the game with level 5 industrial tech to compensate somewhat for its ludicrous 180 MPP (and to balance the game a bit)

Some of the other U.S. tech levels are up too (but just a bit) and they start out with 3 research chits.

2. The Finns are active at the start of the game because they now have 2 experience each. This should be good enough estimate although they still don´t have a HQ. The extra MPPs from Helsinki should be compensated for by the stronger U.S.

3. Subs start out at tech level 3 for Germany (to make them a bit more feasible option from the start) and level 2 for the others.

4. Research: Chits can not be swapped around. If you reach the maximum of 10 chits and want to re-invest, you must "reclaim" the chit twice (thus you won´t get any MPP out of it).

To prevent level 5 tech from springing up too early, the maximum investment to a tech should be 3 chits.

5. Air power. To make the massive air fleets that are the norm on the Russian front these days not so feasible AND to represent the fact that re-basing entire air fleets is not a cheap proposition, only operational moves are allowed for air units. Operating aircraft is not cheap.

6. Air power 2. To introduce a whole new element to the gameplay, only "bomber" units are allowed ground attacks. For our purposes, we will assume that the bomber units include all the attacks made by tactical bombers and ground attacking fighters, and the "air fleets" include all fighters dedicated to air superiority missions.

This means that you must now maintain a balance between fighters and bombers, instead of buying massive numbers of "fighters" that doubled up as (more effective than the strat bombers) bombers.

Additionally, you cannot rack up huge levels of experience for your fighters to clear the skies with just by bombing weak ground units.

I honestly believe that my house rules will provide a much better experience FOR ME and my opponent (I know the guy well enough).

I´m not saying that these rules would work for you or that they´re inherently superior, just that personally I might enjoy the game more with these rules.

This post is meant to give you ideas about developing your own set of house rules to enhance your games.

Furthermore, any hostile arguments started in this thread will simply be ignored by me ;)

Not a hostile remark, but how would you implement these "house rules"?

It is after a computer game, how will you get the computer to listen to you?

I can see a human maybe listening, but I am interested on a mechanical level how you plan on getting the time of day out of the machine smile.gif

For relevance, when I play Steel Panthers against people, we come to agreements, that some purchases are just not "cricket" as the Brits would say.

So I am naturally curious, if what you are wanting, is possible to achieve (I have not played the full game as of yet, so I might just not be in the know).

Heh, sorry for that, I forgot that some people play against the computer.

Well, so did I for my first game - it serves as a great tutorial.

I´m only really interested in wargaming against people - as for my single player gaming, there are tons of more interesting games out there for me.

And with that said, I´m heading back to Icewind Dale.

Very nicely thought out rules. I'm a believer in self-restraint from back playing Imperialism I.

One question: For fighters, by "ground" attack do you mean "surface" attack? Specifically, can fighters attack ships?

Just curious, since your rationale wouldn't covers anti-ship strikes as much but most planes that could carry torpedoes could carry bombs.

Ah, nicely pointed out about the anti-ship strikes!

The way I thought it, the definition "ground units" would include naval units as well. So only bombers would be able to attack them from the air.

And this leads me to one final rule : air attacks shouldn´t really be possible against subs.

I do admit that I don´t know everything about WWII, but the bombers didn´t carry depth charges, right?

Plus, how on earth would you spot the subs from the air...?

This should add quite a new level of functionality to the already improved submarines.

This only leaves us with the question of carriers. The air unit is contain is obviously an "air fleet" (=fighters) and benefits from jet technology. I do think it´d be best to allow them to attack naval units, but not regular ground units. Consider them "specially equipped" for naval attacks. However, they still shouldn´t be able to attack subs, except maybe at range 1.

I´ve seen myself ratcheting up huge levels of experience with carriers simply by constantly bombing garrisoned cities....it seems gamey.

Les, here I will yield to superior knowledge, if you have it : I do admit that I know little about the naval warfare in WW2.

I guess it´s not been a favorite topic of mine.

So, I guess bombing subs should be ok, then.

They have their chance to evade, after all.

Another addition to the rules, thanks to Bill Macon:

No building is possible in occupied territories. You can only build units at the home front.