Is "Fog of war" really a tool for senario design?

I read in the manual that "FOW" set to "none" could be a tole/help when you play-tested your designed senarios. Sounded first like a great idée to me, I now have the opportunity to actually see how the AI behaves! :cool:

But second thoughts, isn't the AI's behaviour affectet by the fact that he can see my troops and moves as well? That means that the AI probably will use a different approach when you play the scenario under extreme FOW :confused:

IMHO the "FOW - none" is of really no use for people that really play the game, so it could have been a nice thing to have a combination of "extreme" for AI and "none" for player as a help just for scenario design. Or am I missing something here? redface.gif

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Regards!

[ June 04, 2005, 03:29 AM: Message edited by: Sgt AA ]

• 3 weeks later...

With the game set to no FOW -- the AI is aware of all of your units, just as you are aware of all of the AIs. FOW set to "none" is not(!!!!) a good playtesting tool. The computer will behave entirely differently.

The best playtesting tool is the "surrender" button. If you want to see what the AI is doing, surrender often. Save before you surrender of course. If my design is further along, and I am having a good game, I will save every other turn or so. I'll go back later and surrender to get an idea of what the computer did from point to point.

Check out the Design Tips section at The Proving Grounds for more tactics on dealing with the funky AI.

Bannon

[ June 15, 2005, 11:15 AM: Message edited by: Bannon DC ]