Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Another custom mod...

Logan Hartke

What do you know? I made another interface mod. Imagine that. I like playing the game with sound, but unfortunately, the sound is too overpoweringly loud to listen to music (even with Winamp 3 or Windows Media Player at 100% volume) and play the game. Also, to the best of my knowledge, the game has only two volume settings - on and off. So, I took the time to decrease ALL of the sound files by half. I also did this with the sound files for my two mods (1962 and railguns). So, now I can listen to the music on my computer while playing the game. I wanted to know if anyone else had this problem, and, if so, wanted the files. So, any takers?

Logan Hartke

It's the single thing I really hate about the game. I like listening to audio files regardless of what I'm doing, and when SC is in there I'm supposed to put up with idiotic clicking and clacking and that annoying theme song and drum roll. I know a lot of people enjoy it but I'd prefer the silent movie.

I've asked Hubert, along with others, how to totally disable the game sound and tried his answer but it didn't work on my computer. I'd even go for deleting those files but the game won't run if you do that -- I know, I've tried it.

Last time I posted on this I had three helpful suggestions that the computer's sound volume can be turned down. Sure it can, except I'm listening to it -- it's the game nonsense I don't want to listen to. What really gets me is the loud switch sound after each move. Yeah, sure, great nostalgia and I'm very glad those days are no longer with us so, why do I need a 1940s headache now, in my near Golden Years?

An on/off volume option in the settings would be nice, I mean, every other program on earth has that.

Getting back to the original offer, thanks and I'd very much appreciate a copy.

JohnofJersey@Aol.Com

Martin

No offense taken.

What happens is, if you're listening to music audio files while playing the game the movement clicks are twice as loud as the music! And for some reason it can't be turned off with the sound effects.

Sure, I can just turn the volume down to zero, but then the music I'm listening to also goes to zero. This wouldn't be a problem for one or two games, but I've got a bunch of PBEM games, taking an hour or two to run through, and I'd like to be listening to music while doing it.

As I mentioned, a few of us asked Hubert about this problem, he mentioned a disabling setting which I tried, but on my computer it did nothing; which he said happens on some machines.

If I knew how to make each sound file blanck I wouldn't hesitate but when I tried that the game crashed with a corrupted file message.

It isn't a huge problem but a major annoyance for some of us.

Not trying to make excuses, but every game I've ever lost can be attributed to that annoying clicking sound! And I mean that with no disrespect to the abilities of my noble adversaries who probably enjoy the sound and play better because of it. ;)

[ August 08, 2003, 12:45 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Night

So, do you want the files, or not?

John

It's on the way. The funny thing is that you and I know exactly what teh other one is saying as far as the sound problem goes, but to everyone else, we're speaking Chinese. I know exactly what you mean about the sound, though.

Logan Hartke

Logan

Thanks for sending it, appreciated.

You're right, it seems to be a non-issue for almost everyone else. I'm glad you know how to fix it. There will definitely be others who feel the same way and would like a copy, though not many.

[ August 08, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

I have it at AOL but don't really know how to use it. Should I go on line there now to receive it?

-- Actually, I'm on my way out the door so that isn't good either at the moment.

Would it be possible to winzip it?

I don't want you to go through any extra trouble sending it, just sending it is asking quite a bit, if you can winzip I'd be very grateful.

Off and into the outside world, which scares the hell out of me! ;)

[ August 08, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Okay, nevermind. I won't bother with the AIM. As far as the WinZip goes, I did that, and it was still insanely large (like 35mb or something). In fact, that was the only way I tried to send it to you, long before you asked me to. Anyway, I split it up into three different folders, the contents of which you should just empty into your Sound folder. I then WinZipped those files and they are now on their way.

Logan Hartke

Logan,

Much Thanks, it's far more trouble than I would ever have asked you go through.

I've got a cable modem, if it's faster and/or easier for me to send it out subsequently to others I'll be glad to -- I never imagined those files were so enormous. Even if it isn't faster, I'd still be happy to send it others if you can use the help.

Sorry about not being able to make the direct connection earlier today, unfortunately something came up even while I was online.

Thanks again -- This is very good of you.

Incredible!

I'll keep a copy of those files as you sent them. In the event you want me to pass them on to others drop me a line, or have them drop me a line.

On my way now to install them.

--

Success!

The download took about fifteen minutes, I kept your original three searate zipped files in a Program File area for future reference, then downloaded them again into the sound area of SC, went there, unzipped them, closed and went to the game, which started with that opening theme at HALF VOLUME exactly the way you described. A huge difference! Great Work.

Now I can throw away those ear plugs.

Thanks Again.

[ August 08, 2003, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Excellent Idea Gaylord, this time I think you've really come up with something!

-- Logan You can no longer say you don't know Mr. Focker !

Started the game and the sound came on fine, very reasonable volume. I can deal with it at that setting.

Now, about those Cowboy and Indian figures . . ..

[ August 08, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

What gets me is I'm starting to like the idea. ;)

Some sort of adaptation starting in the early 1840s with the United States and Mexico trying for the same South West and West Coast territories which Mexico already owns but, unfortunately, can't populate.

Add pressures from the south for expanded slave states and from the north for new places to settle those struck with wanderlust.

And we wouldn't even miss the non-existant Russian Winter.

Bring the situation throught the Mexican War, the Civil War and Mexican Civil War up to around 1910 or so . . ..

There might be a real game there!

Instead of U-Boats disrupting supplies, in their place could be Bandit units, like Jesse James who rob trains and take money away from the U.S side.

The U.S in turn could use the Siesta unit to rob the Mexican player of money as well.

[ August 08, 2003, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: Gaylord Focker ]

Robbery would be one of the game's major themes. Especially with the U. S.. I like the U-boat idea, same principle as at sea and a potntial thorn in the nation's economic development.

Turmoil in the West till late in the game.

Plains being swiped from it's original inhabitants. U. S. first detaching Texas from Mexico then fighting a war to finish the theft and coming out of the mugging with New Mexico, Arizona, Nevada and California as further plunder (did I miss one?.

Brief break for the Civil War, France sneaking Mazimillian onto the newly created Mexican Thrown. Civil War ends, Frogs kicked out, Max shot -- a few what if variants with South winning independance, etc..

Indian Wars, gold strikes, variants of European intervention, California and West Coast opting for independance when Washington can't even mint it's gold for them or control payroll thieves, etc & etc . . .. Mexican Civil War, variants of the U. S. annexing it, etc.

Spanish American War becomes the final robbery. Mark Twain becomes disgusted by it all and the death of his wife and writes his book on the Damned Human Race.

Maybe call it How the West Was Won -- The True Story! or some other catchy title.

A money making project waiting to be created and programmed.

Been Great delving into this, nearing midnight and it's off to insomniaville. The computer keeps me awake, the other morning it made me cranky at the General Forum with Michael Emry over nothing because with dawn coming I was still hitting keys. Tonight I'll try watching TV, that ought to do it better than sleeping pills.

[ August 09, 2003, 12:35 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]