how to improve diplomacy in SC2

kurt88

Reading through some posts I noticed that some players want to see the diplomacy options improved.I personally would love to see this happen.

Some suggestions and ideas:

-Introduction of 'diplomacy points'

-Use these points to:-influence neutral countries to join on the player's side.

-demand surrender from encircled troops and/or cities.

-sue for peace for seperate alliance members (isolate germany)

I'm sure all of you have some ideas or suggestions so... let's hear 'em smile.gif

This is an interesting idea, Kurt. I'm curious, how do you envision the surrender concept working ? Spend X number of diplomatic points and the troops in that city would automatically surrender ? I don't think that would work: just think of the 101st at Bastogne, various fanatical SS units, almost all Japanese troops and the unpredictable Russians.

So it would be a die roll affair, "spends your points and takes your chances" ?

The amount of points the player gets can be based upon the number of allied/axis capitals the player has.

(if you think this shouldn't be so or handled differently chip in)

Let's say moscow is encircled.The axis-player can now send a message to the russian troops there by spending diplo-points.

Would it be correct to then give the Allied-player a choice:-surrender and thus giving moscow

to Axis.The Allied player should

be allowed to redeploy his moscow

army.(Maybe add some experience

to compensate.)

-Spending x diplo-points to re-

inforce the surrounded troops to

15 (?) and try to break out.(This should require a LOT of points.)

I don't know if this system is well balanced but i think working with MPP's and diplo-points would add something new to the game.And maybe more diplomatic options would do the tric.

Originally posted by Steve C:

This is an interesting idea, Kurt. I'm curious, how do you envision the surrender concept working ? Spend X number of diplomatic points and the troops in that city would automatically surrender ? I don't think that would work: just think of the 101st at Bastogne, various fanatical SS units, almost all Japanese troops and the unpredictable Russians.

So it would be a die roll affair, "spends your points and takes your chances" ?

Sounds like there should be a randomizing element combined with different types of circumstances. There were instances when even the Japanes surrendered in large numbers, as in New Guinea. I don't know how the details would be worked out but I like the basic premise.

As for minor countries joining one side or the other, at this point I'm in favor of anything that would improve the diplomatic aspect of SC.

[ January 31, 2003, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Originally posted by kurt88:

Let's say moscow is encircled.The axis-player can now send a message to the russian troops there by spending diplo-points.

Would it be correct to then give the Allied-player a choice:-surrender and thus giving moscow

to compensate.)

15 (?) and try to break out.(This should require a LOT of points.)

And if you want your troops to just hunker down and hold out until you can end their encirclement?

[ January 31, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Wolfpack ]

Intresting concepts everyone.

Well, there is the matter of national resolve. The Italians would surrender to a U.P. News truck, and the Russian in Leningrad were cut off for 900 days and would not give in, the French had standard issue White Flags in their position, and the Germans usually only surrendered when their sour kraut and ammo was gone. The Jap's liked to blow there brains out by sticking a rifle in their mouth and pulling the trigger with their big toe, the Brit's surrendered after a cup of tea, and the Americans surrendered on Corregidor after 4 months and at Kasserine after 4 hours.

There are more important issues in SC than surrender, but I could be wrong. THe game during head to head play is to long now, maybe this could be an option to turn on and off as desired.

I'm not trying to pea on your picnic, I guess it's just that it's friday, and I'm going to play golf at 11:00 and want out of the office, sorry!

Originally posted by kurt88:

[QB

to compensate.)

15 (?) and try to break out.([/QB]

Well, I think the problem with surrender is there's no real way for SC to duplicate the sole motivation for it: man's desire to live. Allowing the surrendered troops to redeploy would work in an 18th century game where you allow the besieged fortress garrison to march out with "the honors of war" but in WW2, it was truly a case of "For you ze war iss over." So it wouldn't ring true for me, nor would some other artifice such as getting MPP for surrendering.

In SC, I'm an all-powerful Churchill, Hitler or Stalin, and damn it, I want those little 2D guys to fight to the last man if I so choose. Dealing with a pop-up window asking for surrender, or worse, just having a key garrison vanish off the map because my opponent or the AI spent some points to make it happen would detract from my enjoyment of the game.