SC2 - Oil, Importance to Axis & Russia

Edwin P.

Later in the war as oil supplies grew tight Germany was reduced to rationing its gasoline supplies and relying on synfuels.

To reflect this why not;

1. If Russia loses control of all of its southern oil fields the movement/action points of its armor units is reduced by 1 or 2.

2. If Germany loses control of the Bulgarian/Rumanian oil fields then the movement/action points of its armor units is reduced by 1 or 2.

This would make it more important for both sides to protect their oil resources or conquer other sources of oil (such as Iraq).

In fact, if the map is enlarged, it would give the Axis incentive to consider an invasion of Eastern Saudi Arabia.

Oil is a complicated question for WW2. It became more important later in the War than earlier and making it a factor would be tough. Now by giving it such a healthy value MPP wise makes it important. Perhaps we could include another sort of oil bonus instead... Representing the value of them...

Remeber ships, and airplanes and trucks are also very reliant on oil!

Maybe some sort of Readiness bonus for units. i.e. after 1942 1% per active oil field. As long as that unit is not cut off from his Mother territory...

Most of the Middle Eastern Oil manipulated by Britain didn't go to England, but was used within the region by the Royal Navy, Army and Air Force. The conclusion has to be drawn that without it Britain couldn't have operated in the that theater of the war.

One of the things I like about giving oil such a direct value is it forces Germany to choose early whether it's going to aim primarily north or south in Russia.

Increasing the importance of oil resources affects German strategy in other ways.

Since the oil fields of the minors become increasingly important Germany can not afford to allow these countries to remain neutral. This may restrain their tendency to make non-historical invasions of other countries; ie Spain, Vichy France, Sweden, until the Axis Minor powers declare for Germany.

It also means that the Soviets must decide whether to advance towards Berlin or to first sieze the oil fields of Bulgaria/Rumania.

Another option to consider is stating that if the USSR or Germany lacks oil resources (after 1942) that each of its Armor units (beyond the first 3 -reflecting German allocation of gas supplies) have a 20% to lose its movement capability for that turn.

"General we can't advance, we have no gas!"

Edwin P

Agree, since Oil and Manpower were the two most important strategic constraints the Axis had.

Problem is, within SC, there is no easy way to reflect this. If you are thinking in terms of a future SC, then I believe you have to add an additional economic unit (along with MPPs). With this additional economic unit, you now have more creative flexibility to start limiting the number of units and/or the economic growth of a nation based on the amount of oil it has. And now the strategic options you mentioned become critical for the Axis.

Thanks for your comments Jersey John

What is the best way to reflect this in SC / SC2?

1. Reduce movement points if no control of Oil? or

2. Provide a readiness penalty/bonus? or

3. Or Say that there is a 20% that each armor unit (beyond the first 3) will not be able to move that turn if you do not control any oil resources?

And? say that each oil hex can support up to 5 armor units, and armor units beyond this limit face the penalty outlined above. (you would assume that the first 5 armor units moved each turn have oil allocated to them.)

Any opinions?

Tough call.

Toward the end of the war, one of the reasons Germany was leaning heavily towards jets was the lower refinement level of their fuel. Germany's synthetic fuel production would need to be considered, along with possession of the Hungarian fields, etc..

Even in it's heyday oil was a big issue. The Bismarck, for example, didn't wait to sail with her sister ship Tirpitz because Raeder didn't think he'd get enough fuel for both ships after the start of Barbarossa. I believe Germany got by on less fuel than was routinely consumed by peacetime England!

I'd imagine oil should definitely be a limiting factor in the number of combined air missions, tank offensives and naval maneuvers Germany would be able to conduct at any one time; but I wouldn't want to make those decisions, nor would I know how to do it.

Maybe it gets back to the abstract solution of limiting the number of each type of unit a nation can possess. -- And another existing row of threads regarding that as well!

The details of all this would take a lot of consideration.

[ March 21, 2003, 09:20 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

So maybe, say that Germany can support the movement of 15/20 oil guzzling units (ie a mixture of Air/Armor/Navy units).

Each additional Oil Hex they possess can support the movement of another 5 Oil Guzzling Units.

If Oil Guzzling Units exceed this level then the Axis player can move units up to this number of units. Units moved after the support level is reached either 1> Can Not Move or 2> only have a 50% to move.

Just an idea for future playtesting.