Attack Russia Early

Edwin P.

Yes, I did win.

His; the Russian, problem was that he had too few units and that my units were able to quickly advance into Russia, as there were no units close to the border! He was unable to form a line until the Siberian transfer was triggered.

Note that for my intial attack I had 5 air units, 3 HQ units and 2 armor units, the rest were corps and army units (level 1). As for the minor Axis allies they joined well after the attack was underway.

[ March 12, 2005, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

There was no bid. We felt that you did not need it if the Axis was only going to attack 2 countries before attacking Russia. The allies took Ireland, Norway, and Sweden in unopposed invasions. This was probably my opponents mistake. It delayed the entry of the USA and meant that I did not have to fear an early game invasion of France. When he did invade France he had Level 2, and later level 3 jets for support that forced me to operate all German Air units west from the the Russia front. At this point in time my opponent launched a series of counter attacks, breaking through in a few places. But I was able to reform a line and slowly eliminate the units the did slip through while reforming the German line. It was dicy for a few months on the Eastern front with both sides losing units each turn.

[ March 12, 2005, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

We felt that you did not need it if the Axis was only going to attack 2 countries before attacking Russia.
That actually wouldn't be a bad house rule to use, maybe make it 3 countries. It would definitely prevent the dreaded Axis cookie-cutter strategy while still allowing some leeway for the Axis.