Quick A3R question

I have noticed a lot of fellow TR players in here (not surprising either).

I am curious though.

When I mention it myself, it is A3R otherwise known as Advanced Third Reich also known to a select few gamers as Classic (due to the game having since evolved through Rising Sun and on into uncharted waters).

What is the game you are referring to though?

Is it just TR or Third Reich, no distinction made from one incarnation to the next.

Is it one of the pre advanced Third Reich editions.

Is it Third Reich by name to you, but you really meant Advanced Third Reich (the last commercially sold version).

Is it Third Reich the computer game. Which incidentally is just the computerised version, of the original version.

I am merely curious.

I have only encountered one version of World In Flames, 5th, so I can't go on at length over it.

But clearly, when we talk about SC, we are talking about computerised extrapolations of these two games to a large extent.

Or at least most games are seeking to emulate the success of A3R and WiF.

As originally posted by Les the Sarge:

What is the game you are referring to though?

"A3R" was surely superior to "3R" in that strategic warfare was more detailed, and the naval and air battles were more realistic, with better casualty rates. Also, the map was about as perfect as you can get in a WW2 GS board-game.

The computer game was a cipher (... plenty of zeros, but designer somehow forgot to include the other half of the equation, the "ones") and was my second greatest disappointment thus far, after realizing that -- Life just wasn't very fair.

Got it for a Christmas gift and was never more excited to try something out (... well, after another wonderful thing) BUT could not believe the horrid AI! WAITING FOR USER INPUT!! :eek:

Very fair, I think, to now & then refer to a "benchmark game" and admire its gradual improvement.

Not as fair to compare it to computer games of the same genre, though. Especially those in the first edition. smile.gif

A3R. I'll make occassional references to 3R in general. The 3R/A3R game system is essentially the same thing, relative to SC, even though some of the mechanics like air/naval combat and strategic warfare changed. I haven't played in quite a while due to time/space limitations and a growing irritation I had with the diplomacy and research rules, which I found tedious. SC works these into the game very well and makes playing fun again.

If a computer version of A3R with a decent AI like SC ever gets released, that would be cool. But I'm not holding my breath waiting for it to happen. Too busy playing SC! :D

Even if you go to a convention it seems to be

harder to find a game (there). I don't know about

the rest of the country (US), but here in Florida

we have a few fairly small-scale cons, but almost

all of the games are either role-playing or those

rock-em sock-em robot games-each time I look for

some good old-fashioned board wargaming listed on

the catalogues I end up disappointed and disillusioned. :(

John DiFool