Hi! Just bought SC in retail store. Do I need to patch?

Chelco

Hi Les,

I installed the game and ...

Wow! I am totally sold to this game. I never played an strategic-level game and I am glad this one is my first.

I am totally ignorant of even the basics of strategy. Eager to read the strategy guide...

Cheers, I will see you around.

Chelco, you will have seen several threads that will no doubt have you "worried" about this game from a point of view "it is no longer fun" etc etc etc.

Keep in mind though, until you can predict EXACTLY what the AI will do, you are not even close to needing to concern yourself with the "hot topic" issues.

I play most of my games against the AI, and I still enjoy playing.

Humans will be sooooo more devious, and make moves more demanding of your play skills naturally.

But DO NOT let anyone tell you the AI is a friggin slug moron.

It takes a great MANY games before you can actually see what a lot of the hardened game vets consider obvious.

The manual is a very straight forward in your face obvious read, and you can likely read it twice (likely while while on the throne) and know most of what you need to know.

The Strategy Guide will point out a few aspects of the game that have little to do with game systems, and more to do with just not losing.

One thing though that is certain, you won't have regretted your purchase. That much is certain.

Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1:

Chelco, you will have seen several threads that will no doubt have you "worried" about this game from a point of view "it is no longer fun" etc etc etc.

Keep in mind though, until you can predict EXACTLY what the AI will do, you are not even close to needing to concern yourself with the "hot topic" issues.

I play most of my games against the AI, and I still enjoy playing.

Humans will be sooooo more devious, and make moves more demanding of your play skills naturally.

But DO NOT let anyone tell you the AI is a friggin slug moron.

It takes a great MANY games before you can actually see what a lot of the hardened game vets consider obvious.

The manual is a very straight forward in your face obvious read, and you can likely read it twice (likely while while on the throne) and know most of what you need to know.

The Strategy Guide will point out a few aspects of the game that have little to do with game systems, and more to do with just not losing.

One thing though that is certain, you won't have regretted your purchase. That much is certain.

Hi Les,

The only worries I have now with SC are:

-I need a less demanding job to play more SC

-Where do I find such a job?

Seriously, I think the game is superb. It really puts you in an strategical mindset. I love it.

I am slowly learning the combat mechanics and I hope to start thinking "the big picture way" soon.

The game has a very real feel. For instance, it struk me that in the "Barbarossa" campaign you really feel like the vastness of the Russian countryside is your enemy. I am sure more good surprises are to come.

Regardin the AI: is beating me to pieces. I cannot predict a thing about it. Happy camper here.

I have to confess that when I started computer-wargaming I did it exclusively with real time games and had a bad opinion about turn-based games. Arguments like: "turn based wargaming is as good as a match of boxing where boxers take turns to punch".

Eventually I bought my first turn based game: Korsun Pocket (Matrix games). I got so impressed with it that I had to reconsider my original thoughts.

This is where I got:

-OODA: observation, orientation, decision, action. The cycle every commander takes in the battlefield.

-It's very unlikely that in real battlefield two enemy commanders would be performing the same step of the cycle at the same time. If so, the situation will naturally progress into a way where the end of one's commander cycle will trigger the begining of the other comander's one.

-All good computer wargames will perform (or allow you to do so) the equivalent of the previous cycle (some games better than others) ONE SIDE at a time.This means that even the games that claim are real time are actually turn based. One calculation cycle for the enemy, one for your forces. The difference between the so-called turn based and real time games is how much times the computer interrupts the virtual battlefield's action in terms of virtual battlefield time.

-The bigger the scale of the battle, the higher the player's rank, the longer the cycle takes and the lesser the times the wargame should interrupt the virtual battlefield's time to make calculations.

So I am a truly "turn based" converse now.

Cheers,