Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Readiness Levels?

BK6583

As I've been pouring over the manual and that excellent strategy guide one point made often is to keep an eye on a neutral country's readiness level, which is always expressed in terms of, "After declaring war on such and such, said neutral country's readiness increased by 10%". The guide then states to keep checking the war map for these readiness levels. That said, where on this war map are readiness percentages (levels) shown?

War readiness numbers are only for the neutral major powers - USA, USSR, and Italy. The political triggers for various minors change over time but are not displayed anywhere. Example: Hungary has 25% chance of joining Axis on or after November 20, 1940, but you don't see any change on the War Map on that date. The User Manual Updates and Errata file contains the random political triggers and readiness for war factors. You just have to keep mental track of what the minors are doing. ;)

Bill, OK - I don't believe I'm phrasing this question correctly. Here's a quote from your strategy guide regarding the USSR:

"If you don't have enough units on the border the USSR war readiness goes up about 10% a turn. If

you have too many units on the border the USSR war readiness will increase greater than 10% a

turn. Insufficient Axis garrisons or large buildup of Axis forces along the Soviet border will increase USSR war readiness, so keep an eye on the war map and make adjustments accordingly."

What exactly am I keeping an eye on in the war map to indicate to me that I've got too few or too many Axis units along the USSR border?

BTW - Your strategy guide has been an enormous help. Although a simple looking game at first glance, I don't know how much time I would have had to invest to learn things the hrad way and then subsequently start over again. Your guide helped significantly narrow what otherwise would have been a rather steep learning curve on my part.

The idea of watching the readiness levels, and perhaps recording them on a log for reference, is to spot a significant increase (i.e., about 10% rather than about 3%) which indicates you have too many or too few units on the border. A couple of units in Poland at first and then a couple more for each Axis minor that joins is usually fine. If you fail to provide an adequate garrison, USSR readiness goes up. If you start massing forces along the border too early, or have too many units for the number of Axis minors actually in play, readiness goes up. It's not too difficult to manage your garrison when you know what the game is looking for.

Your guide helped significantly narrow what otherwise would have been a rather steep learning curve on my part.
Thanks! That was the whole idea. Not to make everyone an expert, but to show new players how to get into the game and play well. It's really amazing how complicated this "simple" game is and how long it takes to master all the little tricks. ;)

Let me take the liberty of trying to answer the question. You want to want the percentage next to the USSR flag on the war map. If that percentage goes up prior to June 22, 1941 without you declaring war on a country then you don't have the right number of units on the USSR border. If it goes up by more than 3-4% after that date, then you also don't have the right number of units on the border. It is those percentage figures at the bottom of the map (the readiness figures) that you want to watch.

Oak

Well, I've printed these replies out and I intend to look real close at that war map tonight. The thing is that after looking at the war map and its associated other screens over and over the last several evenings, I just don't recall seeing a percentage number adjacent to the USSR flag(s). I recall a screen that shows industrial and resource numbers (by a "X-10" figure or something like it) under the major countries - so that's why I'm groping here to understand just what I'm supposed to be observing.

I see the problem. You are referring to the main game map. To the right of that map you will see a bunch of buttons with "Done" at the top and "Quit" at the bottom. One of the buttons say "War Map" click that button and it will take you to the War Map which will show you the readiness levels. That is also how you go about declaring war on a country ... by going to the war map, clicking on a country and declaring war.

OK - Now I understand the confusion although the question still remains: When I have repeatedly gone to the War Room turn after turn and look where the US and USSR flags are, instead of a readiness percentage number, instead immediately to their right is "Historical" and "Neutral" for the US and USSR flags respectively - which are the settings I clicked on under "Options". When I was at work I downloaded the demo and lo and behold, there were percentage numbers by those two flags. I've loaded the most current patch as well as the "Elite" mod, so I'm not sure why I'm not seeing percentage numbers (didn't see them before I loaded the "Elite" either).