Balancing the 39 Senerio

Iron Ranger

As most of us know the game is normally won or lost in France in this senerio. With one or two minor mistakes eather France will fall fast and Germany will have a free hand to do as she wishs, or the allies will hit back hard and she will not surender till the fall of 1940 (if your lucky).

A varity of house rules have come and gone, this would be more of an adjustment to the senerio and use a few house rules.

1) Add the lowest HQ to the UK and French systems

2) Add two understrenght (2) units to egypt (Indian and Anzoc troops)

3) Shift units around. Most of the French fleet in the med, Egyption squadern moved to Gabrather and Scapa Flow (one BBs stays behind). Minor movement of UK and Fr troops.

4) Add 2 bars of Exp to German HQs

5) Canada starts activated

Bid system as you wish

House Rules:

1) No landings same turn you DOW major powers

2) No LC gambit till 1940 (or adjust units so a turn one gambit is too risky)

This should give UK the option of:

1) Support France to the fullest

2) Mixed bag - support France and Egypt

3) Gambit - your call

About:

1) With both HQs from the start, germany can be stopped easily. The bid system allows u to spend the MMPs and u wish and gives u the possibility of buying HQs.

2)I like it and u can mixed this with 5) editing Canada. U can delete canadian army/corp and introduce an understrengh army in egypt.

3)Shifting MED to Gibraltar is a good idea and it saves u the pain of moving em every turn. Dangerous tho cos allows to introduce a third carrier in the French campaign.

I think theres nothing wrong with the french fleet initial positions. 2 BBs in ports (10 supply) to disband at will.

4)2 stars!, i dont think this to be a good idea.

5) i like it

Against LC gambit turn 1, just edit the french AF to Brest for example, and this allows to buy HQ in turn 1 (agaisnt the german force interception the first turn to damage the french AF).

Hmmm, not that I want to get into great detail on my opinons as why what in #1-5 (everyone has their own opinons, mine are not always right).

1) Yes, units in Egypt and HQ in UK is too much. Cut the HQ out. But leave in the L3 HQ for France, with the House Rule against the LC gambit before 1940 Germany can work over a few minors if she wish's (norway anyone?) or stick with the French Rush at the cost of Poland.

2) These two units are really the Canadain Units and the Canadain units are replaced by UK 'style' units so that they can make use of a UK HQ.

3) Historcal for a majority of the French Fleet to be in the med, it also gives the subs a chance (they are also slightly relocated). Same with the Carrier in Gabralter, Historical but it can move up to help with the sub hunt. Of couse you could still disband the fleet (french) as there is a 10 Str port right there.

4) I kept on going from 1 to 2 stars. I thought with two Allied HQs at the start that 2 stars would be best. One - Two, doesn't really matter if the UK HQ is removed

5) Thanks

Any other feed back? In balancing I'm not looking at a complete redesign, I could do that and make a custom senerio (this is getting close). But trying to keep the changes to a min; but to even the playing field while still keeping historcical OOB in mind.

Biding: MPPs 1:8 (USA and USSR) or % Russian Readiness

Toughening the Med would be key- a UK HQ there would mean a great deal for the allies. Iraq would not be a pushover for the Axis- possibly meaning either the UK or Russia gets Iraq, a swing of 128 MPP's per turn not counting plunder. When the Axis don't get Iraq and the Allies do, it evens up the playing field quite a bit. (And if the scenario is balanced, there is no need for a bid- except perhaps as a handicap. smile.gif )

Also, another option is to give the US 10 research chits. I reckon that would be historical- the immense cost of atom bomb research showed what the US was capable of, and the atom bomb is not an option in the game. (Would a historical chit allocation be something like 2 in AT, 1 in HT, 1 in Gun-laying, 2 in LR, 2 in JT, and 2 in IT?)