AAR Zappsweden vs Terif (game 1 of 2)

zappsweden

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hueristic:

Getting more interesting by the second smile.gif WHY spain before Vichy? :confused:

I should have attacked Vichy instead and taking Spain when USA entered the war. :(

My plan with attacking Spain was to get the important Gibraltar while only the UK were in the game. If i attacked both Spain and Vichy the USA would join much sooner. I chose to take Spain first to close the mediterranean and later on to take Vichy France. :(

My biggest mistake was that i attacked through the narrow pass in northern Spain. I should have attacked from the east Spain coast (like my Italians successfully did). That would also have given my Italian friends higher supply levels with an German HQ nearby.

[ January 07, 2003, 10:23 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

As I've stated in prior posts, balance is closer than it looks.

From what I can piece together, ZappSweden has been a bit reckless playing the Axis, and made a number of mistakes. With that in mind, I would say he has a better chance than not of losing this game. If he loses, give credit to Terif for a game well played.

Terif also makes some mistakes, but his basic tactics and knowledge in this game is excellent.

When i screwed up in Spain, it became the start of a losing chain reaction. I was not able to prepare for Russia. I was forced sending more and more troops there instead of opposite. I could not take portugal or Gibraltar and my Iraque plan is currently stalled since i cannot attack vichy i.e get my troops into Libanon and get a good position against Iraque.

Believe me, Terif has taken alot of casulaties with UK just to delay my conquest of Europe hence helping Russia but making his Normandy invasion weaker.

[ January 06, 2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

But that's the wholl point, Zapp. If the Axis timetable gets a solid disruption, or a series of mid-sized ones, then their conquest timetable is thrown behind schedule. That leaves an opening for the economic war to tilt in favor of the Allies.

In your game, Spain has provided an access point for the Americans to deploy their mpps and attrit the Axis. If you tried to take Iraq now, without having Vichy under your belt, it would be tricky, as the Russians could operate units down to the oilfields once war was declared and to Baghdad, if you didn't knock Iraq out in one turn. It would also seem the Russians could start to think about taking out Finland, then threaten Sweden. I'll also bet the Russians are close to fully funding their research and buying six or seven HQs. Once that's done, they can start to buildup.

It seems Spain and Iraq could be the keys to victory. If the Allies can wrest both from you, that would give them a decided mpp advantage, and if you look close at the map, a significant strategic advantage.

It is important for allies to make axis pay a high price for every move. Especially when Russia enters the war, invasions have to be started to distract axis units and weaken their economy.

In the game my biggest mistake was to attack Portugal one turn to early, i had not enough troops left, cause i had to protect Gibraltar and Madrid and my battleships were in the Med.

But despite this the defence of Spain is a success: more than 10 axis units + Hq are not in russia, only one fighter on the russian front.

Ok, they are not in Spain but in Norway and France. Anyway, this is key to success: to force axis to protect the coasts and so to weaken the axis forces on the east front.

April 19, 1942:

Russia Attacks on the Poland border and air duels are fought between the modern Axis Luftwaffe and the Russian air force.

Spain battles continue and an american HQ arrives to even out the odds. Allied transport keep appearing around Denmark to distract the Axis from their other fronts.

June 14, 1942:

First russian units on german soil. Madrid is surrounded by axis forces and will fall next turn. Portugals capital is surrounded by allied forces and will fall in 1-2 turns. UK troops landed in Sweden. Axis attacks Vichy.

June 21, 1942:

The Middle-east part of Vichy has fallen and Spain has fallen to the Axis, but US troops are still there holding the southern parts. Spain almost held an entire year. Vichy navy was ambushed when trying to escape from to Africa. Both Vichy navy sunk.

[ January 07, 2003, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

July 12, 1942:

The Vichy French capital is taken by Axis. It has moved to Algiers. Iraq is attacked and taken by Axis. The Spain battles is soon a complete rout for the Allies. The unsupplied allied landing in Sweden is taking a beating. Russian HQ gets attacked by superior Axis air fleets. Still the east front line is on The Polish and Rumanian border.

[ January 07, 2003, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

July, 1943:

MASSIVE air attacks from Spain on the USA held Algeria after the Americans wiped out an axis HQ in Algeria.

Russia is air attacking Sweden and Allied ships are punding on Bergen (Norway) and Brest (France). Sporadic air battles are fought in the Riga area with Axis attacking from Prussia.

[ January 08, 2003, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: zappsweden ]

November 28, 1943:

Axis starts a massive Air, Land and Sea Campaign in Algeria. The surviving US troops stand and fight till their death - that will happen soon :)

Russian forces are pouring into Turkey. A last try with russian elite units to end the trench warfare in the east. German border and Sweden are heavily fortified with land units.

[ January 08, 2003, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

April 16, 1944:

Russia liberates Iraq and eastern Vichy france.

first contact with axis forces in Egypt. US troops in Algeria are still fighting, the german Hq flees. Axis forces fortified turkish capital. Heavy air combat in France, landing troops near Brest.