Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

SC on Linux :)

Norse

ISE Eiffel supports compiling the program for Linux, so it shouldn't be a problem unless there is something else I don't know about. Regardless, since this is possible, will you please compile it for Linux as well? You know it will be good for buisness, as the Linux community will welcome it into the warmth and post it up on all the major Linux sites (meaning more $$$ ching ching!!). Well, it is up to you Hubert, but from the Linux community I just wanted to say pleeeeeeeaaase, or as they say in Germany, bitte! :D

Please spare me any silly "Windows vs Linux" replies to this. Some like Linux others like Windows, period - end of discussion.

~Norse~

Well I prefer Windows and that's why.... ;)

OK in all seriousness, I wanted to be multi-platform, but the ISE multi-platform GUI Library (Vision2) was not available when I started development, I was about a year ahead of their latest compiler release when I started. So for development I used their older Windows-Eiffel-Library and implemented my own multi-media library for sounds and animations etc., a combination of an existing library and some of my own routines to finish the job for SC as there were no existing libraries for me to use at the time. This is why currently a recompile for the Linux platform would not work, and would require quite a bit of recoding to do the job. Something to think about for the future that's for sure, but I think SC does work on Linux with an emulator, can't remember the name of it off-hand but sounds like it did a pretty good job.

Hubert

That statement on Windows....ignored, lol ;)

I belive you are referring to Wine (short for, Wine Is Not an Emulator). I understand your situation, we can always dual boot (most of us do anyway, and SC is worth it). Keep up the good work Hubert! SC is totally amazing :D

Norse

[ July 09, 2002, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: Norse ]

Just for the record, I have verified the SC demo works somewhat in Linux under WineX. Certainly it is playable, but most of the text boxes that pop up are not filled in. Not sure if this will be fixed in the final version or not. If it is, then it should be quite playable under Linux, although with a few minor quirks (like no sound).