Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Exact triggers for Russian entry?

John DiFool

Reepicheep wrote (in another thread):

Russia declared war too soon- I had moved a fourth corps out to the eastern defenses, and it looked as if their war readiness shot up suddenly. I moved it back (I didn't mean it- really! smile.gif ), but it was too late. I was steamrolled.

Everyone knows a few things by now about Russian

"preparations for war":

If you don't leave a token garrison in Poland,

their readiness will shoot up.

If you land in England and then take a city or

two, their {Russia's} readiness will shoot up.

Declaring war on minors {esp. those bordering the

S.U.} will cause their readiness to increase 5-10

points per DOW.

My question is: has anyone tested the garrison

strength thing from the other side? It seems

to me that, if I start putting a lot of units on

the Russian border in preparation for Barbarossa,

their readiness will also shoot up. Is this a

mere coincidence {i.e. it will shoot up even if

you still have just a token garrison there}, or

does the AI 'recognize' your preparations and

attempts to {well} pre-empt your DOW?

John DiFool

Reepicheep wrote (in another thread):

Russia declared war too soon- I had moved a fourth corps out to the eastern defenses, and it looked as if their war readiness shot up suddenly. I moved it back (I didn't mean it- really! smile.gif ), but it was too late. I was steamrolled.

Everyone knows a few things by now about Russian

"preparations for war":

If you don't leave a token garrison in Poland,

their readiness will shoot up.

If you land in England and then take a city or

two, their {Russia's} readiness will shoot up.

Declaring war on minors {esp. those bordering the

S.U.} will cause their readiness to increase 5-10

points per DOW.

My question is: has anyone tested the garrison

strength thing from the other side? It seems

to me that, if I start putting a lot of units on

the Russian border in preparation for Barbarossa,

their readiness will also shoot up. Is this a

mere coincidence {i.e. it will shoot up even if

you still have just a token garrison there}, or

does the AI 'recognize' your preparations and

attempts to {well} pre-empt your DOW?

John DiFool

Yes. A large buildup of Axis forces along German/Soviet border will have an effect. I'm not sure if that means only the hexes adjacent to the border or within a 2-hex spotting range of the border, or what the threshold for "large" is, so only Hubert can say what the exact triggers are.

Try staging your forces farther back and then move them forward the turn prior to declaring war. You know - like the Germans did. No point risking early discovery of an imminent "surprise" attack.

Yes. A large buildup of Axis forces along German/Soviet border will have an effect. I'm not sure if that means only the hexes adjacent to the border or within a 2-hex spotting range of the border, or what the threshold for "large" is, so only Hubert can say what the exact triggers are.

Try staging your forces farther back and then move them forward the turn prior to declaring war. You know - like the Germans did. No point risking early discovery of an imminent "surprise" attack.

The way i have seen it is that you can put massive amounts of troops on the border but it takes a few turns before the readiness shoots up. I have had a massive army right on the border and it was several turns before their readiness increased at all.

Perhaps this simulates a 'hesitation' as of what it is those Fascist hordes are planning ;)

The way i have seen it is that you can put massive amounts of troops on the border but it takes a few turns before the readiness shoots up. I have had a massive army right on the border and it was several turns before their readiness increased at all.

Perhaps this simulates a 'hesitation' as of what it is those Fascist hordes are planning ;)