End Game AI Wierdness

USGrant

I'm slightly embarrased to admit that I just lost a game to the Allied AI. I went for maximum tech before Russia and, after purchasing 10 points of tech, got squat for advances for 3 years. Russia is really tough with level 0 air, level 0 infantry, and level 1 tanks for the first two years! I finally finished off Russia in 1945, but by then the western allies were overrunning the Fatherland. Which brings me to the point.

As they approached Berlin, supported by 14 air units :eek: , the AI got really stupid. It spent half a year destroying every unit adjacent to Berlin, and completely surrounding it. In each case, it would hammer a unit with air strikes and then attack with ground units (good tactics). Then, once Berlin was totally surrounded, it finally attacked. As soon as it got one or two adjacent hexes it should have slammed the Berlin garrison with up to 14 air strikes and walked in.

Hubert, I suggest that the targeting priority of Capitols be increased, even if the defensible terrain is making the AI think it should attack elsewhere first. This might be a problem if there is insufficient force nearby (like the premature Normandy issue), so there might have to be an AI rule to define overwhelming force.

I also agree with some other posters that there should be a surrender button so we can bail out and see our sad scores - and the enemy's dispositions.

Lastly, I thought that I had a good feeling for the country surrender rules, but this game was surprising. First, once I captured the second Soviet capitol I proceeded to wear down the Russian army to a point where there were no more than half a dozen units and an occasional partisan left. Yet it continued to fight on for 4 or 5 turns. I think the remaining fighting force factor that prevents surrenders must be based on the MPP values of the remaining units. Not until I wiped out one of the 4 Soviet air wings that were dancing around the periphery of the Motherland did they surrender. Second, Germany didn't surrender even though the whole Fatherland was conquered by the allies. I agree with the concept that losing a single capitol does not necessarily force surrender, but losing every city in the home country should finish you off.

I'm slightly embarrased to admit that I just lost a game to the Allied AI. I went for maximum tech before Russia and, after purchasing 10 points of tech, got squat for advances for 3 years. Russia is really tough with level 0 air, level 0 infantry, and level 1 tanks for the first two years! I finally finished off Russia in 1945, but by then the western allies were overrunning the Fatherland. Which brings me to the point.

As they approached Berlin, supported by 14 air units :eek: , the AI got really stupid. It spent half a year destroying every unit adjacent to Berlin, and completely surrounding it. In each case, it would hammer a unit with air strikes and then attack with ground units (good tactics). Then, once Berlin was totally surrounded, it finally attacked. As soon as it got one or two adjacent hexes it should have slammed the Berlin garrison with up to 14 air strikes and walked in.

Hubert, I suggest that the targeting priority of Capitols be increased, even if the defensible terrain is making the AI think it should attack elsewhere first. This might be a problem if there is insufficient force nearby (like the premature Normandy issue), so there might have to be an AI rule to define overwhelming force.

I also agree with some other posters that there should be a surrender button so we can bail out and see our sad scores - and the enemy's dispositions.

Lastly, I thought that I had a good feeling for the country surrender rules, but this game was surprising. First, once I captured the second Soviet capitol I proceeded to wear down the Russian army to a point where there were no more than half a dozen units and an occasional partisan left. Yet it continued to fight on for 4 or 5 turns. I think the remaining fighting force factor that prevents surrenders must be based on the MPP values of the remaining units. Not until I wiped out one of the 4 Soviet air wings that were dancing around the periphery of the Motherland did they surrender. Second, Germany didn't surrender even though the whole Fatherland was conquered by the allies. I agree with the concept that losing a single capitol does not necessarily force surrender, but losing every city in the home country should finish you off.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

[QB]Good points, I'll be taking a look at this for the next patch. Most likely the one that will get in there is a fix for Germany surrendering as this one is probably the most in need for a closer look.

To add to this: In a recent game against AI, after Germany collapses and all that was left was Rome, the Italians hanged on for two or three more turns. I must have pummled Rome over 12 times with various aircraft including level 5 jets and level 3 bombers from US, Britian, Russia and even the 1 little blue French Unit. I practically had some form of an allied unit on every inch of the penisula. Is it a glitch...or is there some 'built in" over kill penalty?

Can't see why/how the Italians would fight on.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

[QB]Good points, I'll be taking a look at this for the next patch. Most likely the one that will get in there is a fix for Germany surrendering as this one is probably the most in need for a closer look.

To add to this: In a recent game against AI, after Germany collapses and all that was left was Rome, the Italians hanged on for two or three more turns. I must have pummled Rome over 12 times with various aircraft including level 5 jets and level 3 bombers from US, Britian, Russia and even the 1 little blue French Unit. I practically had some form of an allied unit on every inch of the penisula. Is it a glitch...or is there some 'built in" over kill penalty?

Can't see why/how the Italians would fight on.