The best way to take USSR

Most good players land five or six German units between Riga and Leningrad on the first turn, which brings Finland in right away and gives the Soviets a nearly impossible task, fighting along the frontier, where they're probably being crushed, and meeting this other threat behind their lines.

The tactic is completly unrealistic, of course, especially when done in what would be rough seas -- the entire long northern winter! There are many house rules against it.

Naturally such a landing would have been impossible for the Germans, or anyone else in WWII -- four armies and an HQ -- yeah sure!

There are also ways of doing this that keeps the Soviets from having one of their Baltic cruisers.

I hope this sort of abuse, both the landing and crowding effect, will be impossible in SC II.

I like to vary my attacks - in one game go from Germany as Kuniworth says, then in another while going from Germany hit the Turkish straits and sail a force through to the Russian rear, and in another try landing a few corps in Finland and racing through the forest to the Russian rear. It forces the Russians to weaken their front line.

I don't know if my opinion counts, since I only play against the AI. But what I do is attack in the normal way while trying to sneak a couple of corps accross the top of the map to harass the cities and mines in the mountains.

I also rely upon the Italians defeating the British in Egypt and attacking Iraq, coming up that way with 6 corps, 2 air forces and a HQ.

For what it's worth.

Jersey said

"Most good players land five or six German units between Riga and Leningrad on the first turn"

The house rule many players put in place mentioned by Jersey is this one "No seaborne landing on a major the turn it enters". This also stops a bunch of Allied foolishness in the med.

Regarding how to take Russia - really I think you need to react to your opponent and hit them where they are weak. Recon airfleets help a lot.

Kharkov is very valuable - from there you can build up and head either north to Moscow or south to the oil fields, and this puts the Russians in a nasty dillema.

A great way to improve your play in Russia is to play the 42 game against compentent opponents!

[ May 01, 2004, 03:18 PM: Message edited by: Friendly Fire ]