Defending France Airspace

Rashak Mani

Playing Axis in a PBEM. I operated back from Russia a 3.5 Star Airfleet tech lvl 3 with a 3.5 HQ. The next turn I attacked a transport in the English Channel. I lost 5 "life" in a 10 str plane in the response.

The British have at most 2 Star HQ and a 3 Star plane at Tech lvl 2 !! How can I be so severly damaged ?

Readiness was 99% too ! This seems a bit absurd. After a while these planes will just lose horrendous amounts of experience !

Thats only the normal result for an air battle. With tech lv 2 an airfleet has an attack value of 5 vs enemy air, i.e. makes usually ~5 damage.

Experience is mainly only important in ground battles where attack values are low (air vs ground is 2, i.e. experience plays a large role cause it can increase your attack value a lot - relatively spoken. But in air vs air combat with here 5 vs 6 it doesnt really matter - and here both sides have experience so this negates each other anyway).

Jet levels increase the damage in air combat enourmously (increases both attack value and readiness...) and thats good: this way airfleets cant become super weapons, cause they will loose most of the experience they collected from air to ground warfare in the next airbattle smile.gif .

@ Friendly Fire:

AA comes only in play when the enemy would have forced his air into interception, but here it was the other way round - so no AA bonus ;) .

[ June 20, 2004, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: Terif ]

Overall in an Air duel... its better to intercept in terms of damaging enemy airfleets ?

It wasn't a Carrier. (Airfleet icon appeared) Even if it were a carrier... his carriers are at most 3 stars and their readyness would be worse than a land based plane with HQ support no ?

In an air duel in the open field - concerning damage - it makes no difference if you are attacking or intercepting. Only if you are attacking from a ressource and have researched anti-air, then the intercepting enemy has slightly higher losses (you receive the anti-air bonus in this case).

Some players love to use the anti-air bonus and research heavily anti-air - disadvantage: these mpps are missing somewhere else and usually he neglects his ground forces... In this case if you see the enemy has a high anti-air level researched, then either strike first and establish air superiority, so that he has to reinforce and cant use the anti-air bonus or stay out of interception range if you cant achieve air superiority.

Carriers: When they are at full strength, their readiness can be higher than that from airfleets. But when intercepting they have a lower attack rating (-2 compared to the own airfleets) and therefore do less damage than an airfleet.

Airfleets cant improve their naval attack value (carriers are ships), but carriers improve their air combat value with each jet level. So with high jets (>=3) and experience (+ long range) they are deadly when attacking/intercepting an airfleet directly and dont take much damage in return (but only in this case ;) ). But since carriers are ships, their readiness highly depends on their strength points (in contrary to land/air units). So if they are damaged they will be very weak and have to be repaired before the next air combat.

Thanks Terif...

So when defending France whilst still pounding Russians... is it better to defend France with rookie airfleets and keep the veterans in ground attack in the steppes ?

I am basically treating Russia where there is no enemy airfleets like a training ground and then I send veteran airfleets to fight in western europe. I then buy a new airfleet to help out in Russia.

Should I not bother to lose experience with heavy losses in France ?

You have to pay 10% of a units build costs to operate (or transport) it. So you should avoid operating an airfleet if possible cause it costs you a lot of mpp. Experience doesnt make much difference in air combat - at least not at higher jet levels, so operating your AFs west (while building new ones in the east) will cost you more than you can gain.