Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Flying over the Cuckoo's Nest

Desert Dave

The inmates will NEVER be allowed to take over the Asylum, it just... ain't going to happen.

'Cuz then... it would no longer be... an asylum.

'Cuz then... it would become... Chaos and only those who have never actually had to... live and fight everybody! and die in a Chaos would suppose that that is somehow... a good thing.

To use a metaphor:

The ship has blundered into a huge iceberg.

100 mates are trying to fit into... one lifeboat.

Which only has room for... 20.

Piled on top of each other.

Fighting for breathing room,

Fighting for scraps and space.

Oh sure, all very communal for awhile, but eventually.... back-brain behavior, ever more gradually, takes it's demonic place.

And superstition flourishes,

And survival becomes mostly a matter of.... smite thy gasping brothers & sisters... into the Sea!

Anyway, all you inmates!

(... this includes me, I ain't no special case, I've been locked out enough to know... but, if any out there... cares to take a cheap shot, go right ahead, have one for free, say la vie, fine by me...)

But, be thankful that there are RULES and STRICTURES and DECORUM and arbitrary conditions of all kinds... to rail & flail AGAINST!

We cannot imagine that we are... brave and outrageous OUTLAWS, unless... there are... LAWS, to oppose all out, in the first place, yes? ;)

Battlefront, in any supposed shape or manifestation, is... NOT the ENEMY.

They have provided a forum platform, GRATIS.

It's enough.

It has to be. ;)

Yeah, what he said. smile.gif

Seems like there's a whole lot of frustration recently. First Zappsweden announces burnout, then Kuniworth. The competitions appear to be growing stale, now that the handful of "winning" strategies and "gamey" gambits have been played over and over. And no official word yet about SC2, which just leaves everyone in a funk.

Time to step back guys. SC is just a game, and it does what it does. Battlefront and its moderators provide a reasonable product and service, but they aren't here to provide eternal salvation for any of us. Like Di Niro said in "The Deerhunter," "Dis is dis. It ain't nothin else!"

Some ideas for consideration:

- Play less often to avoid burnout

- Find someone willing to play for fun (where it's OK to try new strategies and make a few mistakes) rather than cutthroat competition

- Try different scenarios, settings, options

- Try the various scenario mods

- Edit/create your own scenario

- Teach your girlfriend how to play tongue.gif

It's just a game. Have fun with it. If you're not having fun then you're doing something wrong. ;)

Yeah, exactly.

I got cooked out on the game. I basically drop by to see what's new, read a little historical debate or good AAR and then move on.

Right now aside from play testing TCpilot's scenarios, I don't touch SC. As usual in about three or so months I'll be playing it again for a couple weeks.

It's the cycle of PC gaming. It's rare for a game to capture and keep you.

Of course that is changing with these online games. I am watching Sims Online destroy a marriage. Of course that was proceeded by Everquest straining it.

Remember the good old days when we were kids and you used to have to go outside and play? :D

Immer

"They have provided a forum platform, GRATIS.

It's enough.

It has to be."

Absolutely and I'm grateful it's out here in etherland. Losing to my wife in arm wrestling was becoming too repititious as well as physically damaging and, all right I'll say it, a little bit humiliating.

actable.jpg