Grimbiemont - Help Wanted (Contains Spoilers)

llama

One of the first scenarios I played on getting CMAK was Grimbiemont. I played it as the Brits against the AI five or six times without getting a decent result. I have now come back to it and tried again – four times – and am still nowhere near winning.

I know from the comments on the Scenario Depot that it is possible for the Brits to win against the AI (I don’t believe it possible against a competent human player). Can anyone tell me how?

Spoilers

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

The Brits have plenty of infantry and artillery but have two major problems to overcome.

Firstly the wide expanse of open ground to cross covered by one MG bunker that needs armour to kill (the other two bunkers can be taken out quite easily) plus diverse hidden MG42s etc. Smoke without solving the second problem doesn’t seem to be the solution

The Second problem is the armour battle. The Germans have 4 Panthers plus sundry other bits and bobs and a town causing lines of sight to be somewhat squirrelly. The challenge for 3 x 6 pndr Churchills, 3 x 95mm CS Churchills and 3 x 6pndr AT guns seems insurmountable, especially as all the Brit heavy stuff has to emerge from one road, which is in full LOS of the enemy lines.

Any serious advice will be gratefully received.

llama,

That one was a tough scenario as I recall, and the only way to win really is to get your tommies into the town in force without getting them killed crossing the fields.

As I recall, you got plenty of mortars and OBA. Get as close to the town by working your way through the woods and then lay down a blanket of SMOKE, and keep it up until you reach some buildings. Good timing is essential here.

I would say use at least 85% of your artillery assets for SMOKE.

Keep your armor out of View of the Panthers, use your AT guns to keep them busy, and your infantry to distract them. bring them out in the late game when the Panthers are distracted. Dont expect your armor to hold any flags. That will be the job of the infantry.

Hope this helps.

Wotcha Simovitch,

Thanks for the advice. I guessed using the artillery for smoke would be in the solution (25 pndr FOs with 240 rounds each was a big hint) but when I tried it before my infantry ran into German armour once they reached the town - they were also disorganised and tired - and got hammered. Maybe I just didnt get the timing right between the laying the smoke and the move accross the open ground. I'll try again this weekend.

Thanks again.

Wotcha Simovitch,

Thanks for your advice. I replayed the scenario this weekend and got a major victory.

I, more or less, got the timing right this time and was able to get a company and a half across under the smoke screen. They arrived tired, but not as badly worn out and disorganised as in my previous efforts (this time I just used the simple run command rather than advance), and were able to fight their way to take two flags.

A gratifying result. Nevertheless I still had the best part of two companies who barely fired a shot (I couldn’t get them across before the smoke lifted) so I am not sure I used my forces to the best effect.

I still believe that the scenario is un-winnable playing against a human controlled defence. The AI just ant seem to handle re-enforcements.

Thanks again for your help

llama

Thanks for bringing this scenario to my attention. I'd never even heard of it. I tried it (once, so far) and failed miserably. It would be even tougher against a human defender, no doubt. It's a fun scenario with a nice map.

I think I would want an extra 10-15 turns to go against a human in this one.

Sincerely,

Ken