Gamey tactic

somerandomguy

This tactic is for the Axis and works best against the AI. As soon as the game starts declare war on Denmark. Use your cruisers to attack them in order to gain valuable xp and cost the Brits some money as they will keep reinforcing the Corps in Denmark. While doing this play the rest of the game as you would(attack Ppoland). You won't need the Navy anyway until you attack Norway. This is really nice since eventually you will have to face the Russian Fleet, but you'll have the edge with four ribbons of xp.

Thats not a gamey tactic at all....most players do stuff like that when they have the chance. But you have to remember that alot of Allied players will not bother reinforcing the corps in Denmark for the reason you stated.

Terif likes to declare war on Ireland and Portagul as the Allies and do the same thing with the entire British Navy (including his carriers). This makes him pretty much unstoppable. It gets pretty discorageing when 3 lone carriers destroys your experinced and HQ supported airforce within 2 turns and then proceeds to turn the proud Wehrmacht into a ragtag militia. When playing against Terif its highly suggested that you destroy his carriers if you get the chance.

It's been pointed out many times that unit experience in this game is very important. Anyone who forgets to apply that priniciple to naval and air units will pay a heavy price later in the game. For anyone new:

If the British operate the air unit out of Malta (and put a corps there), the Italian navy can become a killer force as well.

Letting that damn Russian cruiser run around in the Black Sea too long is a mistake as well. Lure him up by Rostov (Sea of Azov?), and slip a unit or two down to close the straits at Kerch. Then your air can get him. A unit by Rostov that can attack the port helps, too.

See also Terif's hints (in this forum). MANY useful hints there, including advice about carriers.

I also think that these aren't really 'gamey' tactics (if that's supposed to be a negative term). The object of war is to win--not to 'play fair.'

Originally posted by santabear:

I also think that these aren't really 'gamey' tactics (if that's supposed to be a negative term). The object of war is to win--not to 'play fair.'

It's gamey because it's using a game feature in a way that does not reflect the realities of war.

I don't know if players will continue to use Portugal for naval target practice as declaring war on Portugal with patch 1.07 Beta gives an increased chance that Spain will ally with the Axis powers. I tried it and the Spaniards allied with Germany the next turn.