Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Thank you, Battlefront. Some questions.

Leith

Greetings,

Firstly, I would like to thank Battlefront for their fast delivery and great games! It took less then a week for them to deliver my order and that is very sweet. I got the game yesterday and have been playing almost non-stop. This game is kind of evil in the sense that once you start playing, say bye bye to your social life smile.gif

Secondly, I have played a coupla games on the intermediate difficulty +1 and found out the following:

1) The AI doesn't build naval ships of any type, which is kind of disappointing because I like naval battles. Once I sank the Italian fleet, Italy never built a single ship.

2) The AI(As Germany) doesn't seem to do well at all at research. By the end of the game, Germany's research was the worst in contrast even to her ally, Italy.

3) Is there a way one may add Russian or American units using the editor without rendering them hostile from the outset ?

4) Is the game balanced at the start ? I noticed that the UK is vastly superior in terms of its warships. This makes it very difficult to launch an invasion against Britain, and that also means that Germany and Italy will be at a serious disadvantage throughout the war.

5) Closely related to the previous point, is it worth having a strong navy in the long run for the Axis ? Should Germany and Italy invest MPPs in building a strong fleet? And if so, what is the recommended number of ships in your opinion as well as their classes and roles?

These are some of my comments and questions for now. I will post more as I become more familiar wiht the game smile.gif

Regards,

Leith

Greetings,

Firstly, I would like to thank Battlefront for their fast delivery and great games! It took less then a week for them to deliver my order and that is very sweet. I got the game yesterday and have been playing almost non-stop. This game is kind of evil in the sense that once you start playing, say bye bye to your social life smile.gif

Secondly, I have played a coupla games on the intermediate difficulty +1 and found out the following:

1) The AI doesn't build naval ships of any type, which is kind of disappointing because I like naval battles. Once I sank the Italian fleet, Italy never built a single ship.

2) The AI(As Germany) doesn't seem to do well at all at research. By the end of the game, Germany's research was the worst in contrast even to her ally, Italy.

3) Is there a way one may add Russian or American units using the editor without rendering them hostile from the outset ?

4) Is the game balanced at the start ? I noticed that the UK is vastly superior in terms of its warships. This makes it very difficult to launch an invasion against Britain, and that also means that Germany and Italy will be at a serious disadvantage throughout the war.

5) Closely related to the previous point, is it worth having a strong navy in the long run for the Axis ? Should Germany and Italy invest MPPs in building a strong fleet? And if so, what is the recommended number of ships in your opinion as well as their classes and roles?

These are some of my comments and questions for now. I will post more as I become more familiar wiht the game smile.gif

Regards,

Leith

Leith,

Are you playing with the 1.03 patch installed? I hear it improves the AI performance in a number of areas (it was good to start with, but more is better). Hint: start up PBEM games with a few people. It's very interesting.

As to the Allied naval power, that's the real kicker ain't it! They are powerful, as they really should be. The real balance in the game is not continual from beginning to end. The Axis have the advantage early, and will walk all over the Allies. However, that should/can shift as the weight of the Allied forces grinds away at the Axis. Then the balance swings the other way. (usually...)

Hint #2: you CAN pull off the invasion of Britain. You just have to make the right choices to support it... but that would be giving away some closely held secrets.

Hint #3: do a search, you may find the answers, or get some help with hint #2. ;)

Enjoy!

Aloid

Leith,

Are you playing with the 1.03 patch installed? I hear it improves the AI performance in a number of areas (it was good to start with, but more is better). Hint: start up PBEM games with a few people. It's very interesting.

As to the Allied naval power, that's the real kicker ain't it! They are powerful, as they really should be. The real balance in the game is not continual from beginning to end. The Axis have the advantage early, and will walk all over the Allies. However, that should/can shift as the weight of the Allied forces grinds away at the Axis. Then the balance swings the other way. (usually...)

Hint #2: you CAN pull off the invasion of Britain. You just have to make the right choices to support it... but that would be giving away some closely held secrets.

Hint #3: do a search, you may find the answers, or get some help with hint #2. ;)

Enjoy!

Aloid

For the invasion of England at the start, you can try to build a lot of airfleets fast, and kill their fleet with it. Or you can try to land all your forces in one turn, while having warships or ships with expendable troops on the 2 flanks. The AI will probably attack the ships at the flank first. That last one isn't very realistic tough.

For the invasion of England at the start, you can try to build a lot of airfleets fast, and kill their fleet with it. Or you can try to land all your forces in one turn, while having warships or ships with expendable troops on the 2 flanks. The AI will probably attack the ships at the flank first. That last one isn't very realistic tough.

Apart from the low research bit I think the games got it just right. In the real war after the Italian fleet was sunk they didn't build any more major ships, after the Germans build the Bismark etc near that start of the war they didn't build anymore ships, they put all their resources into building subs and lastly the Brits did have the most powerful navy in the Euorpean theatre. So the balance is pretty much correct.

Apart from the low research bit I think the games got it just right. In the real war after the Italian fleet was sunk they didn't build any more major ships, after the Germans build the Bismark etc near that start of the war they didn't build anymore ships, they put all their resources into building subs and lastly the Brits did have the most powerful navy in the Euorpean theatre. So the balance is pretty much correct.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm still having fun and experimenting with this gem. I know the British navy was superior in the European Theatre but what about the German Subs ? I thought that perhaps Germany would build a few Subs to give the USA and Britain some problems but the AI never did. The AI, as Allies or Axis, doesn't build ships!! Why ???? And how do you work around this? Is it ok to use the editor to add a few German and Briish ships to make naval war a bit more interesting? Would it unbalance the game ? Regardless, this game is a lot of fun.

Regards,

Leith

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm still having fun and experimenting with this gem. I know the British navy was superior in the European Theatre but what about the German Subs ? I thought that perhaps Germany would build a few Subs to give the USA and Britain some problems but the AI never did. The AI, as Allies or Axis, doesn't build ships!! Why ???? And how do you work around this? Is it ok to use the editor to add a few German and Briish ships to make naval war a bit more interesting? Would it unbalance the game ? Regardless, this game is a lot of fun.

Regards,

Leith

Originally posted by Leith:

Regards,

Leith

If you want more ships, I can send you my newly revised "Plan Z" scenario. It's based on the assumption that the Germans went ahead and finished off their naval building program. Definitely best played as the Axis though. From what my playtester said, it wasn't too easy.

Originally posted by Leith:

Regards,

Leith

If you want more ships, I can send you my newly revised "Plan Z" scenario. It's based on the assumption that the Germans went ahead and finished off their naval building program. Definitely best played as the Axis though. From what my playtester said, it wasn't too easy.