One small request

A fortification would be excellent. It would keep the Finns from being such an easy "walkover" as they are now, without overpowering the Finns into an offensive juggernaught on it's own.

Excellent suggestion, and as we know, the Finns worked pretty hard at the outbreake (and prior to) of the war to make this defensification.

:D

~Norse~

[ October 03, 2002, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Norse ]

Thinking about this some more, a fortification may be too much. How about just starting the Finns already entrenched (+2), since they have already fought a war and are alert? This would give them some needed defensive benefits without making them too aggressive initially or too tough to beat later on. If Russians do attack and take heavy losses, the Finns will gain experience, so that would be something for the Allied player to consider. Let the Axis player deploy a German HQ and ground/air units up to Finland if he wants to make that an active theater. Historically the Finns were tough defenders of their country but not particularly interested in fighting the Russians, so we probably do not want to provide any offensive benefits to them.

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

Thinking about this some more, a fortification may be too much. How about just starting the Finns already entrenched (+2), since they have already fought a war and are alert? This would give them some needed defensive benefits without making them too aggressive initially or too tough to beat later on. If Russians do attack and take heavy losses, the Finns will gain experience, so that would be something for the Allied player to consider. Let the Axis player deploy a German HQ and ground/air units up to Finland if he wants to make that an active theater. Historically the Finns were tough defenders of their country but not particularly interested in fighting the Russians, so we probably do not want to provide any offensive benefits to them.

That's why I say fortification! The Finns never wanted to advance beyond it, but it will make the Russian think twice before trying to go straight up through Leningrad, they would have to go around the lake...

I would love to see Mannerheim in the game, he was awesome! But the way HQs are setup now it would just give the Finns too much offensive power. The idea is to strengthen their defence to something resembling historical levels.

The idea is to strengthen their defence to something resembling historical levels.
I agree, but the Mannerheim Line was no Maginot Line. The goal is not to make the Finns invincible, just tougher than they currently are in the game so they aren't a pushover. A +8 fortification could be tough to break in 1944! I suggest we try entrenchments and see if that's enough. If not, then perhaps more forest terrain could be added. Something like that.

I like the idea of adding forests and having the Finns entrenched. If my memory is correct I recall seeing pictures of the Finns in their winter gear dug-in the forrest ambushing the Soviets. Bill Macon I like your suggestion if the German wants to send a HQ to Finland so be it. tongue.gif

As I said before the problem is´nt Finland at all but the problem for the axis to put pressure on Russia. A fortification would be non-historical. It was the tenacity of the finish troops that prevailed not their fortifications.

There are tons of options out there and I think we should discuss them as priority 1.

For example;

-retreat rules?

-limiting units for sides?

- Moving Minsk and Smolensk west. Historically these to cities were captured on the 28th of june and 16th of july 1941 which unfortunately dont can be repetead in the game. If that could be simulated the russians just can stack at Moscow and that would force them to defend the city at all cost.

Originally posted by Bill Macon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> The idea is to strengthen their defence to something resembling historical levels.

I agree, but the Mannerheim Line was no Maginot Line. The goal is not to make the Finns invincible, just tougher than they currently are in the game so they aren't a pushover. A +8 fortification could be tough to break in 1944! I suggest we try entrenchments and see if that's enough. If not, then perhaps more forest terrain could be added. Something like that.</font>

Originally posted by ArmenianBoy:

I just ordered the game, but I didn't notice a way to build fortifications in the demo. Is this possible in the full version?

-Thanks

No, the guys here were discussing existing fortification hexes in the game. No new fortifications can be built.

regards

Ray