So much fun since Command HQ.

HankWWIIOnline

I don't know how many people remember Command HQ, but it was a simple world war strategy game. Almost 'real time', for 1991 standards. It used a turn system, but it wasn't dictated by you. It ran constantly, like a RTS format. It was a wonderful game, however after playing it a million times you begin to think of all the new things you'd like to see.

I was happy to sumble on SC, as I haven't played a game like this in a long time. I was just wondering where the grand strategy games went (The more simpler ones). I never cared much for the V for Victory type series. Too much detail for my tastes.

I've been playing only the demo recently and can't wait to get the full game. Is there any plans for a global strategy game in the same vein as SC? The great thing about Command HQ was, playing as Axis you could go anywhere you wanted to based on your personal strategy. Build up an army to land in Brazil, work up through Mexico and into the US while your Japanese fleet comes in from the Pacific.

CHQ was a super game. WWII and modern day setups gave it great flexibility. And how about those spy satellites, nukes, and buying the alliances of various countries. Like SC, it was simple to learn and operate the forces while leaving lots of choices to make. Loved it!

I was thinking more about CHQ today, compared to a game like SC. One thing in CHQ that really added to it was the fact your units could be 'lightly' enganged or 'heavily engaged' depending on how much the icons were overlapping. You could deal out more damage, but if you wanted to retreat...it was a bit more difficult.

In SC, I find myself moving nearly beaten Armies, Corps and Tank groups to the rear area whenever I want and bringing fresh ones up. It just seems too easy to withdrawl units that should be in dissaray. CHQ, while a simple game, was quite detailed in many regards. The 'heavily engaged' feature was one example of this.

I don't know if you can do this in SC, but CHQ's aircraft system allowed lots of flexibility. A single 'aircraft' unit could be used as strategic bombers (Bombing cities,taking away production points), fighters and fighter defense (As SC does, fighter defense being automatic), ability to drop airborne troops and also to be taken along on carriers. Lots of flexibility but easy to understand and use. I remember a CHQ game I played against my dad, which I built up about 10 planes and 10 infantry units in the UK and did an airborne operation against his forces in France in conjunction with a tank unit amphibious landing.

CHQ, while simple, made you feel in total control of the war. Thinking ahead was a big part of it, as you had to plan your operations way ahead of time. Invading a heavily defended Japan was not an easy task, and without proper planning you would throw away a lot of units.

I remember one of the first games of CHQ I played against the computer that lasted DAYS, set during WW2...I was the Allies. There was major fighting in Europe, back and forth. Through my own mistakes, I let the Germans break through to Moscow and my forces were split. I also had lost most of my fleet during a huge sea battle in the Suez Canal. It had been close, but I was left decimated. The UK stood alone, and with minimal sea power. The Germans eventually invaded and took Britain over.

I did a full scale retreat of all my remaining forces back to the US. There I waited...very patiently I might add. I strung a heavy defensive circle of sea units near both of my Coasts and fought off numerous landing attempts. All the while I built up my ground forces in the US, preparing to re-assault the UK.

The Japanese were pounding on California, and I almost lost my control of the Western seaboard. I eventually set off for the UK, engaging in another massive sea battle while my landing forces snuck by and hit the shores. A rapid advance was needed, before the Germans could counter. When all was said and done, I had finally fought my way back to Tokyo and Berlin and won the game. Of course, had a human opponent been playing the Axis...I would have not been so lucky. But it was such an intense gaming experience I will probably never forget it. That was over 10 years ago now.

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite part of Command HQ was the oil factor (that you needed it to run your cities, could store some but not enough, etc.). I've never seen anything like it in any other game (I guess Civ3 comes closest).

My fondest memories are of playing the Reds in the WWIII scenario. Seize the Venezuelan oilfield with Cuban paratroops, send the tanks into the middle east, yield ground in Europe, and watch as the decadent imperialist cities die of thirst for the black liquor.

[ September 10, 2002, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: BobWarlock ]

I too remain a fan of COMMAND HQ. The real time element to the game added quite a bit; but, it also had its realism isues like the time I watched North America being invaded from Hudson's Bay (you could naval move units into Hudson's Bay and if your opponant was caught napping -- an invasion taking place in the middle of North America).

COMMAND HQ, while good in its day, also reminds me how far STRATEGIC COMMAND has come and how it handles many things different and better. Yet, I think there is a void that could be filled, profitably, for a real time strategic wargame. I really loved the wrap around world map found in COMMAND HQ.