Questions regarding Italians and Partisans

1- What are the rules concerning partisan placement? Does Germany need to sustain every hex with a zoc, or a 2-hex radius zoc? Does HQ radius play a part? Do Partisans drop onto the board if there are insufficient hexes, or combat points, present?

2-Italian triggers; I am playing in a game where UK operates her fighter out of malta, and the French north african moves into Malta on t-1. Yet, no Italy? What gives?

[ January 05, 2003, 02:48 PM: Message edited by: Andre Bolkonsky ]

There are two mountain hexes in Yugo, where if you place a corp each, you'll never have another Yugo partisan.

As to Russia, not sure. Would be impossible to cover all those Russian hexes anyway.

In France, Italian entry is piqued when you get Axis units next to Paris, and/or the Allies move Med land units (including the Brit Malta air). No effect on moving naval Med units. I'm fairly certain you can move land units into the Med from around the Horn with no effect on readiness, but I don't believe you can do so through the Med with out increasing Italian readiness.

Hope this helps

Andre

Yugoslavia seems to require almost full hex coverage while rear areas in the USSR seem to require about half or less the amount of garrison coverage. Unless partisans are allowed to get out of hand they are usually more an inconvenience than a problem (half stregnth corps out of supply!).

[ January 05, 2003, 02:57 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Originally posted by Andre Bolkonsky:

1- What are the rules concerning partisan placement? Does Germany need to sustain every hex with a zoc, or a 2-hex radius zoc? Does HQ radius play a part? Do Partisans drop onto the board if there are insufficient hexes, or combat points, present?

2-Italian triggers; I am playing in a game where UK operates her fighter out of malta, and the French north african moves into Malta on t-1. Yet, no Italy? What gives?

Howdy;

Not sure about the Italian triggers, but I'm grateful I can get the Fr. fleet into the Med. along with RN prior to Italy declaring war---sometimes by Dec. '39 or early '40.

Cheers

As originally posted by Andre Bolkonsky:

1- What are the rules concerning partisan placement?

I'll give this one a try. Anyone who notices an error, and it won't be my first or last, please set the record straight, yes?

In Russia you must insure that there is a unit of some kind covering ALL the swamp areas, and also the Ural and Caucasus mountain ranges. Partisan activity does not occur until the Axis has approached these areas.

I say "approached," because you CAN get partisan activity merely by being next to these hexes; you do not have to occupy or surround them. They seem to happen EVERY time you stray away from these "hot" areas, at least it does to me. :eek: Evidence suggests that it is random chance, but quite likely to happen within a couple of turns.

The Russian partisans can be a major pain, and especially now that they can influence supply (... I'm sure you've noticed how the cities will revert to zero when they are in the area).

If you are the Axis and advancing and a little shy of spare units, this can cause all sorts of problems. The partisan unit can eventually connect with Russian cities and become full-sized.

Anyway, partisans almost necessitates that you garrison rear areas and this only helps the Russian front-line defense. smile.gif

The Russian partisans are murder when combined with scorched earth. I usually keep an Italian HQ with 1 army, 1 tank, and 2 corps around the marshes. Also, every city and mine is usually garrisoned with Balkan troops (since using Italians gives control to Italy until Russia surrenders). The effects on supply are tough and can stall regional attacks and prevent critical op moves to the front.

I killed about 4 or 5 partisan units in Yugo and now only have 1 Balkan army in the capital and haven't seen a partisan in nearly a year of game time. :confused: That was strange. Perhaps there's a limit on total #? They used to happen regularly since turn 1 after conquest of Yugo?