Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

German subs......useless?

Rudy

Hi guys, I have played german a few times and found subs almost useless. Have any of you players, played german and invested in constructing u boats? What was the out come? Also the subs are not safe from air attack at brest, but in real life the british never penatrated the u boat pens. No forts or pens in the game!

Rudy

No forts or pens in the game!

Rudy this is true No sub Pens but there are predetermined Fortifications in the game but do not benefit Subs.

As for Sub usage;

There are quite a few ways to use German subs,

</font>

• German subs combined with Naval surface ships along with land based air units are a formidable force to reckon with. </font>
  • German Subs in pack with Tech are also dangerous.
    </font>

How I mainly use the German subs is to defend Germanys Northern shores. And when I do build German subs I build no less than 3 in the southern most city of France (Atlantic Coast) and when the US are about to Enter move over and hammer there Navy or hold back and Defend the French coast from Invasion along with Air units!

The 2 Subs you start out with in the Atlantic most of the time perish before the fall of France.

This just some of the ways I have used German Subs I hope this Helps!

Originally posted by Rudy:

Hi guys, I have played german a few times and found subs almost useless. Have any of you players, played german and invested in constructing u boats? What was the out come? Also the subs are not safe from air attack at brest, but in real life the british never penatrated the u boat pens. No forts or pens in the game!

Just another piece to use as u see fit. I like to let the italian sub sit within 5 of malta and watch the experience go through the roof. And if u manage to get a sub to live in the North altantic for a year or so Wow U got SuperSub. I had one take on 3 Brit Battleships and almost live lol. But don't expect to see any historically accurate portaying of convoy losses.

Along the lines of what Hueristic said, I try to hide my two North Atlantic Subs at the top portion of the map until at least France has fallen...if I have an upgrade all the better...I then try a North Atlantic run to the French coast, using a destroyer in the channel to try baiting the UK fleet away....trying a North Atlantic campaign early on usually will result in their demise. The trade off of 11 or 18 UK MPP's isn't worth the loss of the two subs...of course this tactic is usually only good against the AI, and sometimes not even then. A Human player though may hunt them down no matter where they are.

Has anyone ever disbanded the two U boats for the cash? I never thought of it until now, and I just wonder if it's a feasible option?

[ January 07, 2003, 11:36 PM: Message edited by: J P Wagner ]

As originally posted by Rudy:

Have any of you players, played german and invested in constructing u boats

Sure have. smile.gif

Against the AI, U-boats are instrumental in fending off the Allied invasion of France. This effort will be greatly aided by at least one research advance to help with dive % and sheer survivability against the massed fleet sorties near Brest and in the Bay of Biscay.

Be sure to provide adequate air-cover with decently rated HQ, since the Allies will use at least one Carrier for support, and every once in a while will have long-range air so the Brit bomber can also interdict.

Also, once your own Strat Bomber (... you do buy one of these, yes?) gains targeting experience out in the forbidding Russian tundra, then, send it back to southern France to engage in naval bombing.

Against a human Allied opponent, well, it all depends on how diligent they are at maintaining dominance of the sea-lanes, but I would say that in general, a U-boat plan can be equally as successful.

If you are able to build enough of them -- around 4 or 5 (... as all else, this depends on how well your tactics & "dice rolls" are going on other fronts), then it is likely that you will be able to punish the Brit economy by attacking the convoy lanes.

When they do find you, you will not only have gained invaluable experience from howling wolf-pack attacks, but will usually have the advantage of surprise! in any fleet encounter.

Also, it often takes them some time to pinpoint your location, which only drags their readiness % down, and so this is yet another factor in your favor.

To sum it up: sure, this is a very wise investment. ;)