Making life tough(er) for the Russian Navy

santabear

I was going to put this in the French Navy thread, then thought it might be better in its own spot.

For those who like to amphibiously invade Russia from Sweden as part of Barbarossa: It is possible to crowd the second Russian cruiser out of port by putting enough transports around the port hex. You have to sail the transports over THEN declare war on the USSR. The AI puts one cruiser in the Leningrad port, and the second winds up near Helsinki (where the German cruisers and sub can be waiting: *poof* the Russian Baltic fleet shrinks by 50% before they even know the war has started.

Just like it really was!

Seriously though, is this a realistic way to place the Russian units? I think that if the Russian navy saw a bunch of German transports about to land troops on the Baltic coast the last thing they would have done would have been to sail to Helsinki. (Orders from Comrade Stalin to avoid provocations at all cost, welcome the Germans, give them dinner, etc. notwithstanding, of course).

(Orders from Comrade Stalin to avoid provocations at all cost, welcome the Germans, give them dinner, etc. notwithstanding, of course). -- santabear.

Great Stuff and very close to the truth! :D

As for the Soviet Baltic cruisers, I think they spent most of the war barricaded against docks being used as heavy artillery batteries.

The poor SC Russian Navy has a life expectency of about two or three turns and you want to make life even tougher for them!

[ March 26, 2003, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

if you max out German exp in Denmark and plant the fleet close to the Leningrad port you can kill the Russian fleet in 1 turn. It's worth it... It's risky to let it live!

and the one in the Black Sea must die as well with air